TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lungs and breathing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anonymous

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:20 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Lungs and breathing Reply with quote

Hey bike doc.

I was wondering if you can help me out.

Long story short I was born with a lung condition were they are scared on the inside so that I have less then 50 present of lung capacity. So when I’m racing my muscles don’t get the oxygen they need. So I fall behind. I have tired jogging but its not helping I can’t get the lungs to expand for more intake.

I love the MTB sport. Is there anything I can do to improve on better finishing placement at the end of the race? Or to stay with others.
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:55 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Born2ridetx:

You are doing the very thing to maximize your lung conditioning by riding your bike and exercising which has been shown to improve endurance in individuals with chronic lung disease. However, depending on the extent of your lung disease, you may not be able to compete at the higher levels you wish to achieve. Before you hang your head and think there is nothing else you can do, have an evaluation by a Pulmonologist. You should undergo full pulmonary function testing with lung volumes and post bronchodilator response to see if there is an underlying asthma component that may benefit from preventative therapy to maximize your lung function. Additional testing to consider would be cardio-pulmonary exercise stress testing to see what your aerobic threshold is and to see what is limiting your exercise capacity- lung problems, heart problems or skeletal muscle problems that can benefit from conditioning and training.

Keep pedaling and don't give up.
On your Left
New

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:31 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure everything the bike doc said is right on the money from a medical perspective. I suffered from severe chronic asthma my whole life until just a couple of years ago when I started taking Advair after I was almost hospitalized with brochitis. About 2 years ago I remember my secretary asking me if I would ever race mtn bikes. I told her no because of my asthma I would never be competitive. I kept riding and pushing the envelope and remembered my own pulmonologist's words about my low lung capacity and difficulty oxyginating my body. I kept at it anyway. To hell with all of the limitations you are supposed to have. I raced about 7 races last year and I finished the fall season in the top 5 overall for my age group. I hope to cat up to Sport by this next Fall. Point is, there is good science behind all of the limitations you might hear doctors tell you that you have. Thank them for their help, but then go out there and push yourself in spite of what they say your limitations are (unless they tell you its really unsafe). Do long endurance rides and build your aerobic capacity. Know that just about every guy you pass on your next race doesn't have the same physical issues you have and leave them eating your damned dust.
jt
250+

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:39 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

And Drew's (drichman) dust taste's horrid; I am so glad he is younger than me and I get to move up to an age group he is not in, he's kept me honest this past fall despite his 02 limits. Keep on keeping on dude!
Anonymous

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:51 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: T U Reply with quote

Thank for all the imput guys. It was a big help. I do think its about that time to see what my lungs are doing at a doctor. all this happion at birth I was 12 weeks early and 1lb 2 ounces. so my lungs were nto ever fully there yet ha. Well im off to school In oregan. Ill post pics for the rides.

You guys should try out the rymiers ranch race.

Hope to see you there. I know I will be

ANthony- D
Anonymous

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:00 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: school Reply with quote

I forgot to add in the last replay I'm going to school at UBI-United bicycle institute. I'm going to master certified tecnition in bike repair. So if you guys need something fixed ill cut you a deal. Or if you know of any jobs that are open around austin PLEASE ! let me know.

Thank again

Anthony-D
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:13 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Re: T U Reply with quote

Born2ridetx wrote:
Thank for all the imput guys. It was a big help. I do think its about that time to see what my lungs are doing at a doctor. all this happion at birth I was 12 weeks early and 1lb 2 ounces. so my lungs were nto ever fully there yet ha.
ANthony- D

This is useful information Born2ridetx. You likely have chronic lung disease of prematurity which is often associated with asthma in later childhood and into the adult years. Do see a Pulmonologist who can pursue an appropriate evaluation and hopefully prescribe program that will maximize your lung function and move you up from the dusty side of the pack.

Do well at United Bicycle Institute and you may find yourself becoming a bike doc!

Keep the rubber side down.

Thanks,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: