TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Racing After a Cold

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pedal pusher
New

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:17 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Racing After a Cold Reply with quote

I had a really bad cold Monday, head and chest congestion, body aches, and painful coughing. I started feeling better Thursday, but I'm still coughing and have a runny nose.

Do you think it would be okay to race Saturday, or am I pushing my luck?
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:36 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pedal Pusher:

Don't go to race, but do go to ride. You likely will not be in good respiratory form to be at racing level, give you body a break and enjoy the ride!

Thanks,
dennibw
New

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:22 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do Not Race! I made the mistake of doing that this weekend. Big Mistake. I thought it would be no big deal since I felt better on Saturday morning, but because of the coughing & all the nasal drainage while racing, I wasn't able to keep up with my body's hydration needs. In turn, the only reason I didn't end up in the ER was because i didn't have a way to get there. It's 4 days now & I still have not quite gotten back to normal hydration. Sitting in the doctor's office getting lectured on your stupidity (because you really do know better) while feeling like a mac truck is rolling back & forth over you is not pleasant either.
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:04 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your wisdom gained will benefit others. Nuff said.

I hope for your speady recovery.

Thanks,
KEVIN48
New

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:05 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

After marathon in Comfort, I felt really drained. Wednesday I broke out with fever and ran it till Fri. I had the squirts for 2 days and a bad cough.

Friday morning @ 5:30 I was up for 15 minutes feeling good. My fever broke and I was up with my sick daughter. As I was going to restroom I felt like I was going to pass out. Well my wife found me laying face down in the hall way, blacked out. I didn't know where I was or anything. I poured out sweat for about 10 minutes. I came to and went to ER. I remained there for 4 days(hospital). Cat scan showed sinus infection. Lab work was good alittle low on potassium. I've been cleared by my Heart/nurolijist docter. I 'm still dizzy and have been off the bike for 2 weeks. I'm on Levaquin and feel a little better.

Dehydration would be my quess. I'm drinking gatorade like crazy. I'm still dark under the eyes abit but just cant get over the edge to go ride.

Any suggestions? I finally talked myself out of Terlingua Crying or Very sad
I was looking forward to it all year and had great base miles in before all this.
Thanks Kevin
________
Honda Rafaga history

Last edited by KEVIN48 on Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:34 am GMT +0000; edited 1 time in total
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:10 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin48:

Certainly dehydration was a factor in your passing out. The marathon in Comfort pulled a great deal of fluid from your system. Then to top things off, you came down with an infection which drained your already depleted tanks even further. Yes do take a flier on Terlingua, there is always next year. Give yourself plenty of time to recoup. You will be more prone to repeat dehydration injury for the next 2-4 weeks. You can fill the intravascular tank quickly, but it takes 2-4 weeks to get the fluid balance restored within the cells and tissues of your body. Keep pumping the Gatorade. Get carbohydrates and proteins back into your system. Be liberal with the salt shaker and get plenty of foods with potassium such as bananas, milk, citrus, tomatoes and even "light salt", which is a mix of sodium chloride and potassium chloride, and use it to salt your food. When you start riding again, keep in mind as the temps and humidity go up you can easily loose 2 quarts of sweat an hour. That translates into 3 water bottles or a 70 ounce CamelBak an hour of fluid intake. Conditioning of the body actually leads to higher sweat losses, the training of the body also trains the cooling system to crank out more sweat to cool the body more efficiently.

Take care.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: