TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

empaled by handle bar

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dannybaggett
New

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:04 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: empaled by handle bar Reply with quote

hheelllooooo doc nolan.....at terlingua, on the 2nd lap going up tres cuevas we got hit by a cold front, and i was just at the wrong place at the wrong time and got hit with about a 40-50 mph gust of wind. it hit me so fast it blew the bike over and before i could even think about trying to unclip i slammed the bars....hard.... with my sternum. it knocked the wind out of me and was a few minutes before i could get up and continue. i finished the race and finally looked at my chest.....nice brand from the bar end and cap....and some swelling. got home, deep coloration over the next few days....sore and still swollen.....went to the docnthebox friday and they took xrays....no broken ribs, no blood in urine or stool, all bodily functions have been normal....she said it was just a severe contusion and hemotoma and that it may take acouple of months or me to get normal....

that sound right to you? also....the muslcle right where the bar nailed me is knotted up about the size of a ping pong ball......any clues. thanx danny
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:57 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danny:

From the description you give, the diagnosis of hematoma is likely accurate. The knot in the muscle could either be from a hematoma (a collection of blood) or from the muscles developing a spasm and some scar tissue from the blunt trauma. Either one, therapy would be the same at this point: warm soaks and massages. A visit with a physical therapist to outline a massage and heat treatment program may be in order. I would anticipate a more rapid recovery. You should be healed up in the next two to four weeks. Occasionally, a hematoma may calcify and turn into a bone hard knot that can take months or years to gradually resorb. This can occur when the hematoma is next to a bone and literally, new bone formation occurs in the hematoma. I hope for you speedy recovery and I am glad you fell onto the mountain instead of off it with that wind gust.

Thanks,
dannybaggett
New

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:08 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the reply doc n. i'll start the heat and massage. oh yeah i'm so glad i was blown in, and not out.....it was a long way down.
my best to you and your family.
danny
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: