TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Knee injury

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anonymous

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 9:00 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Knee injury Reply with quote

Hey doc, I hurt my right knee yesterday windsurfing. But I think the real problem is that I have been training "very hard" with weights in the spring season. I qualify "very hard" because my right knee won't allow me to do a lot of weight any more. Riding is ok, just the occasional twinge. I have pain on the underside of my patella whenever I apply even a little force to it, such as swinging my leg over to get out of bed. I would guess I have torn the cartilage, again. I have always had trouble with osteoarthritis and I had surgery on my left knee about 12 years ago, and now it is my good knee. I could not train at all were it not for glucosamine. How long will it take to heal if it is torn cartilage, and is there anything I can do to speed the healing at this point? Right now I know I can't lift weights and I am not sure I can even ride. Will riding hurt it further?

Thanks,
Gary
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 5:42 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary:

The healing time for your knee injury will depend on what you did. If you incurred only a small tear to the cartiledge that does not cause any entrapment of the patella (knee cap) or the inner workings of the joint, it may take 4 - 6 weeks for healing to occur provided you do not agrivate the injury. If you tore ligaments in the knee then depending on the degree of the tear you may not actually heal well at all without surgical intervention. With the amount of discomfort you are experiencing, I would strongly recommend you seek an evaluation by a sports orthopedic surgeon. If it turns out it is only a torn cartiledge that is not serious enough to require arthroscopic surgery, then riding with a high cadence low stress pedaling may help your recovery. Talk with you orthopedic surgeon to get the go ahead on any recovery training and exercises.

Thanks,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: