TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hand Ring Finger Pain

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anonymous

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 11:45 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Hand Ring Finger Pain Reply with quote

Hello,

I have for the last two months had intermittent pain in my left hand/ring finger. I had hoped it would go away by itself. It will get so bad where I can not use my left hand for much of anything. The only thing I have done for this is take some Aleve. I took some aleve a week ago and the pain went away a few days after I started. This weekend my hand was fine, just like nothing was ever wrong. So I'm not sure if the Aleve helped or it got better. Anyway I did the Dirty Duathlon Race Saturday. Sunday my hand and finger were fine, but when I woke up Monday the pain and stiffness was back with avengance exactly like it was the previous week. I've read the other post about Carpal Tunnel and was wondering if this might be something similiar. Any advice appreciated. I can't wait for the Duathlon at Warda!!!
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 6:05 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

gbeardjr:

Your symptoms sound more consistent will ulnar nerve compression instead of carpal tunnel syndrome which is due to entrapment of the median nerve in the carpal tunnel. The median nerve goes to the thumb, index, middle and part of the ring finger on the side next to the middle finger. The ulnar nerve goes to the ring finger on the side of the little finger and to the little finger. The ulnar nerve runs on the palm side over the bones in the heal of the hand on the little finger side. Symptoms of ulnar nerve compression are pain, burning, tingling and/or numbness to the ring and little finger. They are often brought on by activities which compress the nerve such as riding a bike or using a jack hammer.

Treatment for a cyclist include simple things such as switching to thicker padded hand bar grips or tape, switching to padded cycling gloves (Specialized Body Geometry Gloves has padding to specifically reduce ulnar nerve compression) adjusting the front suspension to a slightly softer setting to reduce high frequency low impact bumps and vibration, adjusting the handle bars to a slightly higher and more rearward position to reduce the amount of weight placed on the heal of the hand. Getting handle bars with a more rearward sweap can change the angle of the hands to a more anatomically correct postition. Most standard flat bars have only 3 - 5 degrees of back sweep. You may benefit from a set that gives you 7-11 degrees of back sweep. Most riser bars have more back sweep than standard flat bars (7-15 degree range) and you may want to consider this. If you are looking to keep your weight on your bike down you will actually get a stronger and lighter set up by using a shorter taller stem with a flat bar with more back sweep. Using a set of bar ends can help as well, as it gives you alternative hand positions you can utilize to aleviate pressure to the heal of the hand.

I hope these tricks help aleviate your symptoms.

Thanks,
Anonymous

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 11:08 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow thank you for the quick, and detailed reply.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: