TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Capillaries and riding slow

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anonymous

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 8:35 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Capillaries and riding slow Reply with quote

Does riding at low intensity really build more capillaries than just riding normal?

Always hear that if you do low intensity riding that is builds the capillaries. I think the recommendations range up to 500 hrs without going into the lactate zone is needed to build more capillaries as the lactate acid is suppose to destroy newly built capillaries. How could that be?

Chris
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 5:43 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris:

You need to do both long low intensity rides to build up your endurance but you also need to add high intensity intervals to build your lactate threshold and your sprinting muscles. To this mix you must add rest to allow the healing and muscle building process to take place. If you do too much high intensity intervals, you will start to damage your muscles and not allow them time to heal. That may be where you may be getting your information from. Do not neglect the high intensity intervals but do not over do them, no more than 1-2 times a week interspersed with low intensity longer duration workouts and/or rest days.

Thanks,
Anonymous

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 8:34 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do easy/off days. I understand the importance of not riding hard everyday.

I use to ride with people that would not go above 60% MHR for 500hrs because they were 'building capilairies'. Their theory was that the lactate acid would tear them down.

What I am trying to find out is does riding slow actually build capilaries any better than any other type of riding?
Scott S
TMBRA Board Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 10:48 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been on two different coaching plans (which were more similar than different) and have read up on others. I have never heard of anything like you are talking about. Just the numbers can't be right. Most training plans consist of no more than 10-12 hours a week max (unless you're a pro) and at your suggestion of 500 hours that means you would be "building capillaries" for 50 weeks out of the 52 week year. I would suggest Joe Friel's "Training Bible" as a great primer on training methods and reasoning.

Rocky Hill and Warda Race Director; TMBRA President
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 6:05 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wumpus:

I visited with a exercise sports physiologist regarding your capillary question and slow endurance training. Yes, the capillaries are built up with slow endurance training. The lactate threshold (the heart rate point at which you can reach maximal lactate build-up tolerance) is built up by the interval training. As I mentioned previously, you have to balance the intervals with endurance training and rest day.

Thanks,
Anonymous

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 5:28 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the capillary building interfered with by doing hard rides i.e. if you do an endurance ride one day then an interval day the next, do you still get the benefit?
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 6:10 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wumpus:

Capillary building will continue with alternating endurance rides with high intensity interval rides. The high intensity intervals provide a stimulus to the muscles fibers that are used for high intensity short burst of power to make more capillaries to deliver more oxygen. The endurance ride will allow you to maximize your capillary development to the muscle fibers that are used for long endurance actvity. Ballance is key and after an extremely intense training day, you should do an easy spinning day or even take a day of rest. It is during the resting or light spinning that your muscles recover and the building of capillares and muscle fibers are maximised. Now, for any of you couch potatoes who may miss quote me to justify full time couch surfing, saying, "The Bike Doc says you gotta rest to build muscles!", you will be way off base. You have to have a ballance of excercise and rest to achieve the muscle building.

Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: