TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

sinus pain after a cold ride?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dirtdiva

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 9:00 am GMT +0000    Post subject: sinus pain after a cold ride? Reply with quote

hey Doc,

I had the weirdest thing happen last night.....I was out night-riding (it was probably about 35 degrees when I finished). Needless to say my nose was running like crazy but other than being stopped up I was fine. When I was done the first thing I did was blow my nose. Within 5 minutes I had the most severe sinus pain I've ever had. My whole left side (only) of my face felt like I had done a face plant. I was in tears it hurt so bad. I got home and immediately took a hot shower and felt better again within 5 minutes. It was just my sinus cavities that hurt. I guess it was the hot shower that "opened" them up. My question is if there is anything I can do to prevent that from happening again. The 1/2 hour of extreme pain completely wiped out the joy of the ride. I love night riding and the cold doesn't bother me in any other way. I've been riding for about 3 years and have never had this happen before. Thanks for any advice or help you can offer.
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 12:52 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

dirtdiva:

You may have experienced a temporary blockage of the drainage ports to the sinuses. The sinus port, called the meatus, drains the mucous than is secreated into the sinuses. Blockage of the port can occur with increase nasal mucous flow such as you experienced during your ride, with swelling of the mucous membranes which can occur with colds an nasal allergy flares and with trauma. You may benefit from a daily prescription topical nasal anti-inflamatory medication such as Rhinocort, Nasacort, Nasonex or Flonase. These medications can suppress the swelling to the nasal mucousa. I do not recommend the routine use of over the counter nasal sprays such as Afrin, Neosynephrine and Dristan to name just a few. These medications will initially decrease the swelling to the nasal mucosa by contricting the blood vessels in the mucosa. However after about 3 days of daily use, they loose there effectiveness and actually cause increased nasal swelling, a condition call Rhinitis Medicamentosa. The topical nasal steroids do not do this and are safe to use on a long term basis.

Another possiblility of your headache may simply be the Ice Cream Headache. When you eat cold ice cream too fast you can experience an excruciating headache that can last 15-30 minutes. The cold air you were inhaling may well have had the same effect and triggered an Ice Cream Headache. If this is the case, you may want to wear a mask that can prewarm the air you breath to prevent this type of headache. You can get some effective face masks at the hardware or paint store that are used to filter out dust that would work well for this.

Thanks,
dirtdiva

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 1:54 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: thanks! Reply with quote

The Bike Doc wrote:
dirtdiva:

Another possiblility of your headache may simply be the Ice Cream Headache. The cold air you were inhaling may well have had the same effect and triggered an Ice Cream Headache. If this is the case, you may want to wear a mask that can prewarm the air you breath to prevent this type of headache. You can get some effective face masks at the hardware or paint store that are used to filter out dust that would work well for this.

Thanks,

I wore a balacalava while I was riding....of course I had to uncover my mouth periodicaly so I could breath.......
the icecream headache is what it felt like at first but within a couple minutes that faded until it was just my cheekbones and the sides of my nose hurt........

Any chance that those nasal sprays you recomended would also help with the sinus headaches that I get every once in a while? It seems like I'm a human barometer, whenever we get a big weather change my sinus' act up...... LOL
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 2:33 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

dirtdiva:

Yes, the topical nasal anti-inflamatory medications can help prevent those periodic sinus headaches. Talk to your doctor about them.

Thanks,
dirtdiva

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 2:35 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: thanks again Doc :) Reply with quote

thanks for your timely response. I'll talk to my Dr about it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: