TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

numbing from butt to toes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anonymous

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 12:53 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: numbing from butt to toes Reply with quote

On road rides 45 mins into the ride my left hamstring right under my butt hurts. I change positions and pedal standing it helps some until I sit down. Further into the ride my toes become numb. But here’s the weird thing on my down stroke my leg is ok…. On the up stroke is when I feel the pain and numb feel. Should I get a wider seat?

Thanks
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:46 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much wider, get a recumbent. http://www.bikeroute.com/Recumbents/BentMedBenefits.php

Check out http://www.bentrideronline.com/ for great reading, education and reviews on recumbent bikes.

I gave up my road bike in 1995 and have never looked back. Keep your mountain bike, they rule in the dirt. I could give you all the recommnedations about seat adustments, making sure you adjust to the length of your left leg, but(t) the bottom line will not change much. The narrow bicyle seat is compressing your siatic nerve. Wider seat may help temporarily but you will still have undue weight in an area that was not anitomically designed to bear weight. The recumbent seat completely changes your weight distribution and there is no fence rail riding like on a conventional bicycle seat.

Thanks,
Anonymous

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:26 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks DOC, I took 2 days off the area under my butt is still somewhat tender would ice or heat or both help with recovery. Would this also explain my lower leg pain and muscle locking up. What else can I do for a workout.
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:45 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ice application will help the muscle but if it nerve compression, ice application may make matters worse by further impeding blood flow to the nerve so go with warm soaks and range of motion exercises. Go to a gym where there is a recumbent exercise bike and do some easy low load spinnings. This will allow you to work your muscle and joints without undue stress and it will take the compression off of the nerve that is being compressed. If this does not relieve your discomfort, visit with your doctor. There could be something more going on such as a disc herniation or a skeletal problem with the spinal vertebra compressing the nerve.

In regards to your upright road bicycle, have your seat fore aft position and seat height evaluated by a bike shop that does "Bike Fit" measurements and adjustments. You may need to go with a wider pedal stance or wider crank "Q-factor" to keep from compressing your sciatic nerve. Saddles are a tough recommendation as one saddle that does well with one rider's anatomy may not do well with another rider's anatomy. It is often a ride by trial assessment.

In regards to using anti-inflammatory medications like Motrin or Alleve, you may be best served by stearing away from them as they impede blood vessel formation which is involved in the healing process. You may just want to go with acetaminophen (Tylenol) alone if you need something for the aches.

Thanks,
Anonymous

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:01 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank You for taking the time to help answer my question.....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: