TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sjogren's Syndrome and bike riding

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pjones
New

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:43 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Sjogren's Syndrome and bike riding Reply with quote

Hello,

I was was diagnosed w/Sjogrens Syndrome a few months ago and wonder how it will affect, if at all, my bike riding. According to my drs it could be what is increasing my back pain/nerve issues.

Thank you,
Pamela
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:43 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pamela:

The clinical features of Sjögren's syndrome are the following (from MD Consult):

"Chronic inflammatory autoimmune disease characterized by lymphocytic infiltration and sometimes destruction of exocrine glands, especially the salivary and lacrimal glands, and sometimes the pancreas
May range from involvement of lacrimal and salivary glands only, through involvement of other exocrine glands, to full systemic disease
Characteristic autoantibodies to the ribonucleoprotein complexes Ro (SS-A) and La (SS-B), as well as the antinuclear antibody (ANA) are present in most patients
Diagnosis is made when subject has two of the three following criteria: dry eyes (keratoconjunctivitis sicca), dry mouth (xerostomia), connective tissue syndrome (e.g., rheumatoid arthritis, scleroderma, systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE), etc.)
Sjögren's syndrome may occur independently as an autoimmune disease (primary Sjögren's syndrome), or it may also occur as a result of other disorders, such as rheumatoid arthritis, systemic lupus erythematosus, use of certain medications, or processes such as radiation therapy for oral cancer (secondary Sjögren's syndrome)"

Key Points are:

"Sjögren's syndrome is an autoimmune disorder characterized by lymphocytic infiltration of salivary and lacrimal glands
Diagnosis can be difficult as many disorders may share the same features and there is, as yet, no definitive diagnostic criteria
Treatment is based around relieving symptoms of dry eyes (keratoconjunctivitis sicca), dry mouth (xerostomia), and any musculoskeletal symptoms. Referral to oncologist may be necessary if non-Hodgkin's lymphoma is suspected
Primary Sjögren's syndrome occurs independently as an autoimmune disease, whereas secondary Sjögren's syndrome occurs in association with other disorders"

So if you are having other autoimmune disease process going on such as rheumatoid arthritis, scleroderma, systemic lupus erythematosis or other connective tissue disorders your back pain may be related to the Sjögren's syndrome. Visit with your doctor and ask about a referral to a Rheumatologist as well as an Ophthalmologist for further evaluation and recommenations.

Were eye protection, even consider a pair of motorcycle goggles, when you bicycle ride to protect your yes from drying out.

Thanks,
pjones
New

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:13 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Sjogren's Reply with quote

Thanks Doc,

I am under the care of both a Rheumatolgist and an opthamoligist at this time. I am using Restasis and am taking Plaquenil. So far I cannot see any progress w/the Plaquenil however the Restasis is working well.

The dr has told me to work toward exercising 5 days a week 45 mins at a time. This has been difficult b/c of fatigue and joint soreness. My back dr has suggested I stop riding however I am not willing to do this just yet. I was considering backing off the mtn biking and attempt more road or get on the trainer.

None of my drs bike therefore they have told me it's somewhat difficult for them to advise me on the back pain--whether it is exacerbated (sp ?) by the riding or the Sjogren affecting the tissue.

I guess it will be a wait and see progression on what I am and am not able to do physically.

Pamela
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:04 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pamela:

If there is either joint involvement or involvement of the ligaments to the spinal vertebra from the inflammatory process causing the Sjögren's syndrome, the bike positioning with the bent riding position may be aggravating you back pain.

Find a fitness center that a recumbent trainers and give one a try. If you find you can do some pedaling for the recommended 45 minutes without back pain on the recumbent trainer, you do not have to give up bicycle riding just change your steed to a recumbent bike. I would recommend highly a recumbent trike such as one of the many fine models from Catrike, made in Florida. I had the pleasure of riding one and it took a week to wipe the grin off my face. Check out an article I wrote on the medical benefits of recumbent bicycles at http://www.bikeroute.com/Recumbents/BentMedBenefits.php Currently I have three recumbent bikes in my stable and I hope to add a recumbent trike in the future. The learning curve for riding a recumbent trike is short (seconds) and there is no issue of falling over trying to learn how to ride one. With my two wheeled recumbents, I learned quickly on but it took about five minutes the first time I tried it to figure out the balance point which is different than an upright bike. Wear I to start over, knowing what I know now I would buy a Catrike right up front instead making the fourth recumbent in my stable. Check out bentrideronline.com for some enlightening and fun reading on recumbents of all types. Currently there is an article there on Catrike.

Take care.
pjones
New

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:05 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you I will.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: