TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Problems with a trainer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kula8

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 9:41 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Problems with a trainer Reply with quote

I've got a magnetic trainer - a blackburn trackstand, and it's causing me a lot of grief.

It get so hot it melts a strip down the center of my tire and there are small pieces of rubber flung all over the floor and wall behind where I ride. I tried backing the roller off the wheel but then I get ZERO resistance.

It's my first experience with a trainer, but I don't think this should be happening..should it?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
crap. i dropped my pickle
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 11:32 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

kula8:

That is not good. I have not used the magnetic trainers, but have used wind trainers. That much heat is potentially dangerous. Get it to the dealer or contact the manufacturer for further assistance.

Thanks,
Anonymous

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 8:27 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somone told me recently that Blackburn warrenties their trainers for life. They had a small part break on an 8 year old model. No replacement parts available so they shipped a brand new trainer.
Scott S
TMBRA Board Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:32 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt there is anything wrong with the trainer. Resistance equals friction, friction equals heat, heat equals tire wear. My older Blackburn windtrainer smooths out the middle of the tire too, I just slap on an old worn out tire for extended sessions. Never put a knobby mtb tire on a resistance trainer unless it's one that contacts only the rim unless you really want to see some rubber fly.

Rocky Hill and Warda Race Director; TMBRA President
Anonymous

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 5:26 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had you tried getting a small fan to blow air across the cooling fins. If you are in the house, with the heat on and no air flow it is going to get hot.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 2:08 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trainer tips (from various manufacturers' documentation that I have seen):

1) Make sure that the tire is inflated to its maximum pressure.

2) Keep the tire and roller clean. Peel off the rubber buildup from the roller every now and then. Wipe the tire with a rag (you can wet the rag with isopropyl alcohol if you want), especially if using a new tire or bringing the bike in from an outside ride.

3) If you have an extra wheel, buy an inexpensive slick tire. The trainer will wear tires faster than the road, and the less tread on the tire, the better it will grip the roller.

4) Make sure that the roller is tightened against the wheel sufficiently that it does not slip. Grab the roller with one hand, grab the wheel with the other, and try to turn it. The wheel should not slip easily. Higher resistance, sprint/jumps, intervals will all require a greater tension than easy spinning. Learn what a slipping tire feels like when riding, so you will recognize when you need to get off and fix it during your warmup.

5) Use a fan; the trainer is abosrbing almost all of the energy you are producing (150-400 watts is a typically range for us non-elite riders). Think how hot a 400 watt light bulb would get. That heat has to go somewhere. Try to keep enough airflow that you can get off the bike at the end of the workout and still touch the trainer (use caution; people have generated enough heat to melt the plastic hood on the resistance unit).

Blackburn Defender trainers have a high failure rate. Make sure the trainer spins freely with out the bike. If you hear funny noises when riding, that can be another sign of problems. Blackburn was purchased by Bell a few years ago. When my Defender failed after only a year, they were no longer making them, so the "warranty" policy was for my shop to give me a credit towards another trainer, and then dispose of the Blackburn (they got some kind of credit from Bell).

I did notice more rubber winding up on the roller with the Blackburn than with the CycleOps that replaced it, but the Blackburn also had higher resistances available, with its heavier weight, it feels better when shifting.

Enjoy,

-Kyl
Kyle Poole
100+

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 5:11 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kyl wrote:
4) Make sure that the roller is tightened against the wheel sufficiently that it does not slip.

I beleive this is the solution. If you're getting shredded rubber and lots of heat, then you've like got slippage between the tire and the roller. Slippage = friction and friction = burnt tires. Tighten the adjustment up a bit and see if it helps.
Anonymous

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 5:16 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Trainer that grips the RIM...It Rocks, and I don't have to worry at all about tires Laughing
CoachJoe
100+

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 12:14 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Trainer Answer Reply with quote

I have used many trainers over 14 years of racing (road) and found that certain rubber compounds cannot stand trainers. My best tires for trainers had problems at one time due to a warped trainer spindle axle & again from an underinflated tire.

Generally the right amount of pressure between the tire and the spindle is so that if pulled suddenly the tire will not slip.

Good luck with that. I now use CycleOps Fluid exclusively.

CoachJoe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: