TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

caffein

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maheoway
New

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:55 am GMT +0000    Post subject: caffein Reply with quote

I'm new to this forum. I've been reading your questions and comments, lots of good usable information. I'd gotten into the habit of having a coffee before riding, couldn't understand my continuing lack of wind until I read an appropriate thread. Thanks, no more caffein before a ride.
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:41 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

maheoway:

Glad to serve you. Welcome aboard.
the toninator
250+

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:15 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm interested in the info but could not find a link. Doc can you point me in the right direction?
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:14 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

the toninator wrote:
I'm interested in the info but could not find a link. Doc can you point me in the right direction?

Toninator: Here is the link. The discussion was on caffeine and bone density.

http://www.tmbra.org/board/viewtopic.php?t=6842&sid=161e586ca8c30c7f4807726c18d6ed60

Thanks,
jfish
250+

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:23 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last year at the National Championships, 76 year old World Champion Frederik Schmid lined up at the start holding a Jumbo Starbucks.
the toninator
250+

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:02 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bike Doc wrote:
the toninator wrote:

Toninator: Here is the link. The discussion was on caffeine and bone density.

http://www.tmbra.org/board/viewtopic.php?t=6842&sid=161e586ca8c30c7f4807726c18d6ed60

Thanks,

OH yea, thanks
d to the oc!
the toninator
250+

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:04 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m actually pretty interested in effects of ‘enegry’ drinks on performance and short and long term effects on the body outside of athletics’.
maheoway
New

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:53 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

jfish wrote:
Last year at the National Championships, 76 year old World Champion Frederik Schmid lined up at the start holding a Jumbo Starbucks.

I don't know F. Schmid, but I've heard of him, he's probably strong enough and in good enough shape to do whatever, but what about the rest of us? I'm 64 yo, been mt biking about 2 yrs, 4/5 times/wk ,1/1.5 hrs each time in an area that's basically up and down steep hills-Dripping Springs.
How about more info on exercise and caffein, and the different available caffeins, coffee, energy drinks, energy bars, etc. Is there artificial caffein?
I'm seeing my trails as a kind of interval training, barely enough flats to catch my breath after the climbs. I've been able to go farther and farther in the same amount of time, but there is one hill that almost always necitates a break after a successful climb, I'm old. So, a little info for older riders training would be appreciated. The back side if this climb is steep, curvy and technical, with loose rocks and caliche, I've tried powering through, but catching my breath and maintaining control is quite a challenge. I've found it's the easier section after the technical descent that I don't always negotiate.
Thanks for any advice. Steve
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:43 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay you caffeine addicts, I am crammed to the gills with work right now. So I have left the coffee pot on the back burner. If you would really like to learn more about caffeine and performance enhancing, you will need to do your own home work on this one. You should look at peer reviewed evidenced based medical and physiology journals. Go to PubMed http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez/query and enter your search terms of "caffeine AND exercise AND" whatever other terms you want to link with it using an all caps AND between each word. Click on “Limits” and check the box next to clinical trials and click the box human since we don’t race dogs or guinea pigs, then click on "Go" next to your search term box and see what you get. It will take several hours of reading which is why I haven’t jumped on this one. Keep in mind that WADA (the World Anti Doping Association) previously had band high levels of caffeine in the urine and is considering bringing this ban back on board so take everything you read with a pinch a salt a cup of decaf.

Thanks,
Jhowell
New

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:23 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maheoway,

I'm also 64 & I've been racing Fred Schmid (along with Bill Moreman, Richard Suggs, Marvin Hester and every other geezer with entry fee in his pocket) for the past 10 years.

I'll tell you what is happening: healthy males are exercising and getting faster. They are lean. They are fit. They have good equipment. It's not Red Bull/Jolt/Starbucks etc. It's simple training/coaching.

I placed third in the spring series. I'm training for next year. So is Fred, Bill, Richard, Marvin etc.

Drop me a PM and we can talk more.
stp200
TMBRA Board Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:49 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bike Doc wrote:
you will need to do your own home work on this one

I have been doing my own homework on this everytime i ride Laughing .

Demian
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: