TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is this the "third testicle"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thorpe
New

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:18 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Is this the "third testicle" Reply with quote

I've been riding lots of miles this year and have noticed that I've developed a painless hard mass on the right hand side of my perinium. It's right in the crease between the perinium and goes back towards my butt. A little clear fluid came out from the area so I stopped riding and the mass has shrunk a bit. Is this the infamous "third testicle" that riders can develop from repeated micro-trauma. If so should I stop riding and see if it resolves or go to the doctor. Also what's the usual treatment?
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:24 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

thorpe:

You likely have cyst that has developed in that area. I recommend you get to a doctor to have it looked at and drained/removed if necessary. You will need to take some time out of the bike seat. Pull the seat and post on your bike while you are waiting to heal Your rides will give you a heck of a work out for you legs. Just remember to duct tape a big chunk of heavy foam to the seat tube top in case you forget and try to sit down! Embarassed Or get you a recumbent bike to do some rode miles on while you wait for the area to heal up.

Thanks
thorpe
New

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:49 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I set up a doctor's appointment, but over the weekend there was a development. The area of swelling reduced, but moved closer to the surface and when I pressed on it I could feel a small area that was ready to pop. I pressed and a mixture of blood and serum came out leaving what feels like a thick walled cavity. Maybe it was a bursa or a haematoma. There's still no pain and I'm off to the doctor to see what he thinks.
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:08 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a cyst. It would be wise to have the doc evacuate any remaining contents and possibly later removed the cyst cavity to prevent it from reacumulating material that can become a source for infection.
thorpe
New

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:25 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI my PCP said it was an abscess put me on antibiotics and sent me to a surgeon to drain it. I wasn't convinced as there's never been any pain or heat. Today i saw the surgeon and he went in there under a local anesthetic. There was some clear fluid, but 95% was hard fibrous tissue. He didn't know what it was so I'm betting it was the necrotic, fibrous tissue associated with cyclist nodules or "third testicle". The hole is packed with gauze and I'm wrapped up like a mummy down there. I go back to see him in a week.
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:44 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feed back, thorpe. It will be interesting to learn what the path report is from the fibrous nodule.

Thanks,
thorpe
New

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:42 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw the Dr. today for a follow up. The pathology report was that it was a fibrous nodule with cysts brought about by the cycling. ie bikers nodules. My Dr. is also a cyclist and was interested to read up about the condition. I'm healing well and have to go back in 6 weeks when I'm completely healed and the inflammation has gone to make sure he got all of it.
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:54 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thrope:

Thanks for the follow-up. Heal well, ride standing for a while.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: