TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

handlebar opinion?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maheoway
New

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:45 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: handlebar opinion? Reply with quote

I was reading about alternative handlebars for mt bikes, it got me thinking, what would be the best bar for me.I'm 64, shattered C5 in '85, C 4,5,6 are as one, weak shoulders and upper arms, but not that bad, I'm still a working carpenter and exercise , incl Yoga, daily. I like a tall riser bar, currently a 2" rise carbon Monkeylite, cut to 27", liked it better than 28". I read that if you can feel tension in your triceps, there's too weight on the bar, I feel it, my problem, I'm looking up as much as possible, and since I don't have a left tricep, I like the feeling. I ride up to 1.5 hours at a time, hills and ravines near Dripping Springs for me it's an interval trail, w/o enough time to catch up before the next climb, it's a lot of fun and challenging. I've been riding for 2 years, I do stiffen up int the upper arms and neck when riding.
The alt bars have more bends and sweeps, makes me wonder about them.What do you think, Doc?
thanks, Steve
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:33 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

maheoway:

You are on the right track with having places for alternate hand positions. You solution may be as simple as some old fashioned bar ends the come around into a full "L" bend to allow you to periodically get a higher position for your hands. I too have experience back/spine problems and I found my solution with the rizer bars with bar ends. You may find this a possible, easily affordable solution. If this trick does not work then try some of the alternate handle bar styles or even a shorter stem to decrease your forward reach to the bars.

Thanks,
maheoway
New

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:11 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using a 90mm 10 degree stem, I didn't think of bar ends, I have a pair, good place to start.
thanks
jamie
New

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:18 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Mary Bars Reply with quote

A good option for alternative styles are the Mary Bars. These are hard to find but I believe they are made by ON One out of England. They allow for many hand positions even without bar ends.

Everybody is different so just find what works for you
Redmountainbike
250+

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:42 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting thread on mrbr.com on the various types of alternative bar configurations with information here and there about how they affect reach. Some good information and a few pictures.
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=5810

I'm sitting here trying out different hand positions -- holding hands forward like you do on a regular bar and then trying more of a "side" grip, like you would have with the alternative bars. Reaching forward does make my neck feel just a little tense. The "side" grip lets my shoulders relax in a more natural way.
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:55 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the traditional low flat handle bars of mountain bikes and the drop position on the road bike bars caused increased muscle tension in my neck and shoulders. This tension was aggravated by the long low handle bar stems that are typically spec'd with upper end mountain bikes so the rider can ride just like "famous name fully sponsored pro racer." The throngs of us weekend warriors are not lithe, limber, young whipper snappers. Our bodies are different and require an approach to fitting the bikes to our dynamics and not that of young pro racers. My favorite combination that works well for me is a shorter stem (120mm) with 15 degree rise, riser bars with a 7 degree back sweep with bar ends. This allows me to ride my mountain bike for longer periods of time with less discomfort to the shoulders, neck and lower back. It is more upright, less stretched out and way more comfortable for my 50 something body. An added bonus is it helps keep the dreaded dead dingus at bay.

Thanks,
DJ
New

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:00 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

You must be tall to consider a 120 stem (on the shorter side).
the toninator
250+

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:31 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJ wrote:

According to the song they wrote about him '...eight feet tall and weighed 300 pounds...'
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:25 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJ wrote:

6ft 1in. Yeah 120mm is just right for me but not the 160mm stem that was spec'd on my large frame bike.

Toninator: "According to the song they wrote about him '...eight feet tall and weighed 300 pounds...'" Only in my ego... Laughing
Jhowell
New

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:23 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rode the Comfort race on flat handlebar after riding past couple of years on riser handlebar.

Sore triceps and forarms!

Next time it's risers for me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: