TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

i'm cramping like crazy after a longer than usual ride...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
colinrussell
New

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:13 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: i'm cramping like crazy after a longer than usual ride... Reply with quote

i usually ride about an hour-hour and a half....and i've really stepped in up this week trying to get ready for smithville's 21miles...i rode about a 3.5 hour ride today and i'm just cramping like crazy..calfs..feet...quads...i came home...started drinking water had about 4 boiled potatoes with ketchup with salt and pepper...i figured that would get my salts and potassium back up...is there something i'm missing? do i need more salt/potassium/sports drink or som'n or is this just my legs getting used to this? this was also like my 4th longer than usual ride this week..
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:43 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

colinrussell:

Your cranking up the miles and intensity are likely culprits. Do stretching exercises to help keep the muscles limber. I recommend doing the the stretching exercises even on your off days. An excellent resource is Bob Anderson's Book "Stretching". Also do drink a sport drink with your workouts and increase the volume to match your increase sweat losses. Do not spare the salt shaker and look at taking some calcium supplement such at Tums EX before you workout to help keep the cramping down.

Thanks,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: