TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bonk and overtraining recovery

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lynn
New

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:52 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Bonk and overtraining recovery Reply with quote

Hello, I'm new to racing but have made some strides in my first year out. This weekend I had a minor bonk due to not eating much before a 4-hour ride. I know what a major bonk-out is like because that happened to me earlier this year, pretty scary. I'd also been a little stiff in the knees due to probably over-training in the big ring.

I'm not stubborn enough to not understand that the best recovery from over-training is rest. But how about glycogen depletion? After eating well and a couple of good nights' rest, what should be the steps to take in order to get back on a training schedule?

Thanks.

Last edited by Lynn on Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:50 pm GMT +0000; edited 1 time in total
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:30 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lynn:

Your on track with resting. Give your self at least two days and possibly three days to rest. To help prevent the glycogen depletion "Bonk" consume a sport drink during your ride. Target for drinking a quart an hour during the cooler time of the year and 1 1/2 to 2 quarts an hour during hot times of the year. In training, use the 10% rule. Increase your mileage and intensity about 10% a week. Throw in interval riding, hard sprinting with time to recover before sprinting again. Mountain biking on hilly terrain is a natural interval ride. After a day of hard interval riding do a day of easy spinning, often on a road that is not hilly or bucking a head wind to allow recovery. Then throw in a long endurance ride after that to build up your stamina. While on the long endurance ride add extra calories by eating poor man energy bars (Fig Newtons, bananas and oranges and chase them with some V8 for the extra salt and potassium. After finishing the ride get some complex carbohydrates (whole grains) and a good source of protein to reload the glycogen. Eat in the first 30-60 minutes after finishing the ride to maximize you glycogen reloading. The next day is a day of rest. Then throw in a day of weight training involving the upper and lower extremities and torso (abdomen/back) muscles to help build those muscles up for added sprint speed and protection from stain injury. The key with weight training is higher reps with lower weights. Don't go for max lifts. On race weekends, do a rest day two days before, then the day before do and easy preride of the course if you can or if you cannot, do an easy road ride.

Thanks,
jfish
250+

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:31 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lynn, my teenager also had issues with bonking because he has almost no bodyfat storage. After lots of experimenting, for rides and races he uses Eload but he also puts 3 Eload zone caps in each bottle and also mixes in a GU. He drinks a full bottle before the race and a full bottle each lap. In a race in Europe, he forgot the zone caps and had some issues with cramping. I know this is a lot of stuff but if you are thin and burn a lot of energy, it's what you have to do. He will start drinking the day before a race and after each race/ride, drinks an Enduroz R4 recovery drink. There are numerous good companies that make sport drinks so experiment but drinks like Gatorade may not be enough for you. He also will eat a protein dinner 2 days before a race and pasta the night before to try and store up some energy. If the race doesn't give you a lot of places to drink, use a Camelback even though it may not be considered hip. Young juniors doing long distances can also have the same problem.
Lynn
New

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:22 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I know the feeling. Well, I weigh 180 lbs, which I guess wouldn't seem skinny to most, but I'm 6'4" Very Happy

Thanks so much for the advice, I took it to heart, researched nutrition before the E.E., and it got me through it despite plenty of rookie mistakes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: