TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Quad Soreness

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TylerTexas
New

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:36 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Quad Soreness Reply with quote

Doc-
I am new to biking and ride my mtb hard for about and hour 5 days/week. After riding several months, I figured my quad soreness would go away. This does not hinder my riding, but I was wondering if there will come a time when this ceases? Thanks-Trey
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:55 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trey:

The soreness likely reflects over use and inadequate time for healing of your muscles. The way the body builds muscles is to stress the muscles with some form of intense exercise. The stress causes microscopic tears in the muscles (the pain you feel). The body then sets into motion a healing and strengthening process to repair and build up the muscles. But, there is a catch. The healing and strengthening process works best with rest periods following the intense workout. With five days a week of intense workouts, you are overdoing it and not allowing the body ample time heal and build up the muscles before your start tearing them down again; give yourself a rest. Drop the intense workout to no more than three days a week and even down to two days a week. Take a full rest day after an intense work out, meaning stay off the bike and take it easy. Go for a relaxing swim to use alternate muscles but no Olympic efforts in the pool. The next day take a long (one hour), easy paced ride. Living in Tyler with the hills, you should look at doing a road ride with easy spins, no gear mashing or standing up hammering the pedals on the hills. Spin up them at 90+ RPM and at a speed that does not having you sucking wind. It’s okay if granny passes you in her electric scooter. You are going slow (a recovery ride) to help you go faster when it counts. Then look at doing one of your hard off road rides on the third day. Repeat this cycle of on and off the bicycle remembering to take a rest day after an intense workout day followed by an easy spinning day. Finally, add muscle stretching to your regimen. There is an excellent book that I recommend by Bob & Jean Anderson, Physical Therapist, aptly called “Stretching.” http://www.amazon.com/Stretching-30th-Anniversary-Bob-Anderson/dp/0936070463/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1282787421&sr=8-1 This book is a very useful tool in your training and conditioning.

Thanks,
TylerTexas
New

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:45 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply Dr. Nolan...very informative. I appreciate you taking the time. Have a great weekend. Trey
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: