TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

riding with dislocated finger

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigcoyote

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 9:13 am GMT +0000    Post subject: riding with dislocated finger Reply with quote

DOc,
I dislocated my middle (L) finger 3 weeks ago. I visited a "hand" ortho and am doing rehab. (he suggests I wait to ride, not wanting to risk further injury)

Q: the Ouachita Challange is next weekend. 60-mile mtb ride (30 is dirt road).

1) is it even smart?
2) is there a way to splint/cast/immobilize the finger so it will be protected even in a crash?

I already plan to walk the most technical parts.
Thanks. And don't hesitate to call me stupid. Others have.
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 12:17 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Re: riding with dislocated finger Reply with quote

bigcoyote:

"1) is it even smart?" No.
"2) is there a way to splint/cast/immobilize the finger so it will be protected even in a crash?" Yes, but you would have to get your orhtopedic doctor to do it and he or she may not do so due to the risk. A dislocation heals more slowly than a fracture as there are ligaments that have been torn. It is very easy to disrupt the healing with a reinjury. It would be wisest to lay low for awhile. Keep your conditioning up on a stationary trainer until you get the blessing from your ortho doc to resume off road and road cycling. You might get an early blessing for a recumbent trike for road riding, low risk of getting dumped off of one of those as long as you do not take a corner too fast. Wink

"I already plan to walk the most technical parts.
Thanks. And don't hesitate to call me stupid. Others have."

I won't call you stupid, just eager to get back on the bike. Besides my wife may pipe in with the tail when I had a close encounter with the motor vehicular kind and dislocated my thumb, strained both knees and incurred a concussion but lived to tell about it because of my helmet. I was more than anxious to get back on the bike. My wife most certainly would have called me more than stupid, I was insane. Next day, in splint and on crutches, I bought a new bike I couldn't even test ride! Very Happy

Thanks,
Anonymous

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 1:34 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: OC with any health concerns. Reply with quote

Us Arkis love to have all you Texans come join us on the OC or any other race. A friendly word of warning. I live one hour from Oden, AR. I ride the area often, Womble Ouchita, Etc. This year the Challenge is tougher and will take much longer. I was out of town last year but most of my riding partners did the race in a little over 5 hours. This year the faster guys will do it in 7 hours or more. I rode the first 40 miles in 5 hours two weeks ago. There were 5 of us, all expert racers. If I was dealing with any health concern I would forgo this one. I am no doctor but that is my2 cents. Good luck.
BIGCOYOTE

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 10:42 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Re: OC with any health concerns. Reply with quote

slowarc wrote:
Us Arkis love to have all you Texans come join us on the OC or any other race. A friendly word of warning. I live one hour from Oden, AR. I ride the area often, Womble Ouchita, Etc. This year the Challenge is tougher and will take much longer. I was out of town last year but most of my riding partners did the race in a little over 5 hours. This year the faster guys will do it in 7 hours or more. I rode the first 40 miles in 5 hours two weeks ago. There were 5 of us, all expert racers. If I was dealing with any health concern I would forgo this one. I am no doctor but that is my2 cents. Good luck.

tougher? really? I rode it last year for the first time (it was HARD indeed. about 7 hours for me) and thought that with all the road miles this year it would not be as bad. THough we did come up in JAn and rode the first 30...it was rather slow going as i recall.

regardless, I will be going to support my buds and break in some new hiking shoes on your trail.
any other friendly advice from you mountain boys is welcome!
(you know we texans ain't used to all them hills:)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: