TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Shin Spints?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chentschel

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 5:19 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Shin Spints? Reply with quote

How likely is it to get shin splints from riding? I know runners are more susceptible to this, but cycling? How long should it take for this to heal? I'm not sure it started after a training ride or not, but I've been hobblin' around for 3 days now. I would really like to know that if I stay off it for a few more days that things will get back to normal. What are your thoughts Doc?

Carl
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 9:59 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carl:

"Shin splints" is a generic term that refers to pain to the lower leg anterior portion along the tibia or "shin" bone. The pain can be caused by inflammation to the tendons of the muscles where they originate along the tibia, inflammation the muscles themselves with associated swelling and progressive entrapment or strangulation of the muscles within the fibrous sheath surrounding them, or the pain could be due to a stress fracture along the tibia from the repeated rigorous contractions of the muscles that originate along the tibia.

The pain from compartment syndrome gets progressively worse and is a warning sign that irreversible damage is occurring. With your pain persisting for three days and not getting better this is a serious concern and warrants an immediate orthopedic evaluation. If it turns out the source of your pain is due to a compartment syndrome and you do not get immediate management, you could suffer irreversible muscle and nerve damage that could effectively cripple you for life.

If you have a stress fracture causing the pain, it will require rest sometimes requiring no weight bearing, in other words, crutches for a few weeks, to allow the fracture to heal. If a stress fracture is not properly rested, the fracture can persist and worsen.

The tendon inflammation source of pain, improves with massage, resting, icing.

My recommendations are for you to get an immediate orthopedic evaluation to help sort out the cause of your leg pain and get the appropriate interventions started. Once the source is correctly identified, then your question of how long it will last can be more accurately answered.

Thanks,
chentschel

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 11:26 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc,

Thank you very much for taking the time to respond. Luckily the condition has not gotten worse, but only improved slightly. I have taken your advise and made an appointment with an orthopaedic doctor at a local ortho & sports medicine facility here in Dallas.

Again, thank you!
Carl
Anonymous

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 6:41 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you're feelin better, try throwing in a 100 meter walk, on your heels, into your workouts. Helps to beef up the Anterior Tibialis musckles Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: