TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Excruciation Exam is Coming!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> TMBRA Marathon Series
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scott S
TMBRA Board Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:17 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Excruciation Exam is Coming! Reply with quote

The EE permit is now pending, should have Pre-Reg up this week. New this year is a two person team relay option, details below from the race flyer:
Individual racers are part of the TMBRA marathon series with their regular classes. New this year is a relay option that does not count for any series points. A team of two may tackle the course with tradeoffs allowed ONLY leaving Bluff Creek Ranch, entering Rocky Hill Ranch, or leaving Rocky Hill Ranch. The team can decide how to divide the task and may be two men, two women, or coed. Prizes for top three in all all groups, and for two person teams. Equal payout for top five men and top five women overall. Mass start for the race, there will be checkpoints halfway to RHR, entering and leaving RHR, and halfway back to BCR. Water and food will be available at all checkpoints. Individual racers are also allowed to leave a feedbag before the start that will be transported to RHR for them, then returned after the race. Racers will get a map showing the roads in between the ranches as well as step by step written instructions. Support personnel will be required to take a different route and are not allowed to help their racers anywhere but at a checkpoint.

Rocky Hill and Warda Race Director; TMBRA President
Scott S
TMBRA Board Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:23 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a hard cap of 150 racers for the Excruciation Exam due to safety concerns on the road sections in between the ranches.
For purposes of fairness to series point chasing marathon racers, when Pre-Reg opens, 100 places will be reserved for full marathon, and 50 for teams for the FIRST THREE WEEKS. If the full marathon places fill up quickly that might be adjusted. Once that time period has passed, all places will be open to either individuals or teams until 150 slots are filled. There will be onsite registration the night before ONLY if slots are still vacant up to 150 and they will be first come/first serve.
We strongly encourage pre-registration.

CBaron
100+

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:29 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm interested in doing this event next month. I've done it 1/2 dozen times....but my last time was about 7 yrs ago! I've got a few questions.

Quote:
Excruciation Exam starts with a 8 mile lap of singletrack at Bluff Creek Ranch in Warda, Texas, then goes over paved and gravel roads to Rocky Hill Ranch in Smithville, Texas. There you will ride an approximately 12 mile lap of trails[at RHR], then back to Bluff Creek for a bit of ceremonial dirt before finishing. Total mileage will be between 80-85 miles

Just double checking the dirt vs mileage ratio's. The above quote states about 20'ish miles of trail, leaving about 60 miles of 'in between' riding (30 there & 30 back). Is this still accurate? I know in years past the mileage was similar but we did the long 20 mile loop at RHR, thus making the 'in between' distance a bit shorter. Has road/gravel miles been added?

Still a lemans start?...about how far is the run?

Lastly, road/gravel markings? I see that a map and turn-x-turn directions will be handed out. Historically, the event could be ridden without much need for navigation. Is the route similar from year to year (so that people would have historical route knowledge) or not?

I'm sure I may have more as it gets closer. But I wanted to throw these out there as the event starts to coming into focus for myself.

Thanks in advance.
-CJB
CBaron
100+

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:34 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

crickets....there's been no discussion about this event for a month now.

I do think online registration closes tomorrow. Decision time is getting close.

-CJB
Paul Uhl
TMBRA Board Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:18 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the discussion has been on the tmbra fb site. Knowing Scott , yes you will run for your bike's start!! I do know the RHR ranch loop is 14ish miles. Should be a fun way to spend your Saturday.
davebellante
New

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:03 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last year it was a regular mass start. In fact I believe it's been that way for the last 2 or three years.
davebellante
New

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:07 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

the road sections out and back are the same in years past. I had no difficulty with the road sections. spray painted arrows on the road and signage has been easy to follow.
csechelski
New

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:25 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct Dave, it's been mass start for a few years now. In my opinion the mass start is much better than the old Le Mans start.
CBaron
100+

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:36 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul Uhl wrote:
Most of the discussion has been on the tmbra fb site. Knowing Scott , yes you will run for your bike's start!! I do know the RHR ranch loop is 14ish miles. Should be a fun way to spend your Saturday.

Yeah, I guess thats where I miss out by not being on FB. Thanks for letting me know.

csechelski wrote:
Correct Dave, it's been mass start for a few years now. In my opinion the mass start is much better than the old Le Mans start.

Once again, thanks for the info, even if it may not be 100% conclusive. I hate running....but happen to find the value in the LeMans start. I can be prepared either way.

And its good to know that the route is marked well enough. I don't carry any GPS or such (besides my iPhone in my pocket). I heard that last year it only ended up being high 60's mileage-wise. I sure hope its more than that this year.

See you all Saturday
-CJB
Scott S
TMBRA Board Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:23 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for not checking in here. We abandoned the LeMans start a few years back, it's now a mass start. We do give the Open Men/Women the courtesy of lining up in front if they want. Warda should be around 8 miles, Rocky Hill 14 as noted, and the roads in between. This is shaping up to be the nicest weather in five years or more, come on out!

davebellante
New

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:10 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

some info from the FB page for those non FB people :

Some more EE information. Just a reminder, the day use fees for both ranches are built into the entry fee, no fee for spectators/support unless you are day riding at one of the ranches too. Camping at Bluff Creek Ranch available Friday night and Saturday for regular fees.
We will have registration/pickup open at the ranch house from 7-10 Friday night, please try to come then if possible to avoid a long line Saturday morning. We will be open by 6 on Saturday morning but race will start on time at 7:30 so please help avoid a time crunch if you can.
Pre-reg open through tomorrow afternoon at 4:00PM Central, I strongly encourage it, both to save time, and to avoid being turned away if we fill up. Again, there is an absolute hard limit of 150 racers and with the weather looking to be the best in years, we might well be close to that.
You can bring a small feed bag that we will take to RHR for you and back, but please be reasonable, no giant bags or ice chests. Water, fruit, and snacks available at the checkpoints. There will NOT be a food vendor at Warda for after the race this year, so bring something to tide you over after you finish.
I am putting the race map and turn by turn instructions here tonight. Study them, compare them to Google maps or Strava, and be prepared. The road sections will be marked as well as possible but we always emphasis that signs can get knocked down, etc, it is ultimately each racer's responsibility to know the course.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> TMBRA Marathon Series All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: