TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Crash = Cramps?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anonymous

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 3:45 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Crash = Cramps? Reply with quote

Whenever I crash, I get cramps in my calves. Usually after I'm back on the bike for a few minutes, they go away. Why is this, and what can I do to avoid getting cramps?
Nathan Winkelmann
250+

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 12:16 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jenner, I am no doctor, but I think I can help with your symptoms. To avoid getting these cramps you speak of, you might want to stop crashing. Do you crash evertime you ride? After crashes things on your body are tight or scratched up, maybe thats whats happening. Hope you start feeling better(or not crashing) Very Happy

whatupthirst@hotmail.com
Anonymous

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 3:20 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I have considered that, but the aesthetic value of bloody legs is just too great to pass up ^_^ I do not crash overly often, usually, but when I do, I get cramps, pretty much always. I probably just need to start drinking lots of Gatorade before I race.... and of course, crashing less.
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 7:55 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jenner:

Yes, I am a doctor and no I do not play one on televission. Nathan, however, is right on in noting that your muscles tighten up after a crash. That combined with the sudden stopping of the muscle working immediately after the crash can lead to muscle spasms. Get back on the bike as soon as you are able and start off at a slower pace then build your pace back up again. Doing some on bike muscle stretches immediately after one of this unsceduled dismounts may also help aleviate the cramps. Do a daily stretching ecercise program. Let me recommend Bob Anderson's book "Stretching".

Thanks,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: