TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lung Restoration

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frustrated

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 9:13 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Lung Restoration Reply with quote

Hey Doc,

I've recently (within the past few months) quit smoking. Now I'm trying to get my lungs back into shape. What would be your suggestions for the best way to go about this? I've been doing pseudo-intervals and hills because that is what has given me the most trouble in the past. However, I've found that I tend to tire quite quickly and my results are somewhat discouraging. Is this just something I'm going to have to work through or am I going about this the wrong way?

Regards,
Frustrated...
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 5:07 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frustrated:

First of congradulations on you quiting smoking!

Give your lungs time to recover from the years of tobacco induced damage. It takes about five years for the lungs to recover but you will note that you will have better stamina simply by being rid of the carbon monoxide that binds up your hemoglobin and decreases the amount of oxygen that you blood can deliver.

Your work on intervals is good to help build up your sprinting power and climbing muscles but do not focus on it to the exclussion of a good endurance base. You should limit your interval training to no more than two times a week. During the racing season count your race as an interval day with a rest/recovery day following. Throw in some long steady rides a couple times a week and weight training 1-2 times a week. Finally be sure to give your body a rest day once a week. The muscle building occurs on those critical rest days. The intervals and weight training are the mortar of muscle building but resting is require to allow the mortar to set and to muscles to strengthen.

Thanks,
frustrated

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 10:46 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Doc!. What you said makes sense. I apreciate your time.
the toninator
250+

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 1:43 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey frustrated congratulations! I was a full pack a day smoker when i quit back in 98. I mainly did it so i could start riding more. 6 months after i quit i noticed that my endurance and increased by a 100%. trails that i was having to take i break on i was cleaning without stopping and a year later i was FLYING through those same trails. Give it a little time and you'll never look back.
Anonymous

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 4:33 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

the toninator wrote:
Hey frustrated congratulations! I was a full pack a day smoker when i quit back in 98. I mainly did it so i could start riding more. 6 months after i quit i noticed that my endurance and increased by a 100%. trails that i was having to take i break on i was cleaning without stopping and a year later i was FLYING through those same trails. Give it a little time and you'll never look back.

Some of the time he was on the bike! Laughing
Anonymous

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 10:17 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc-

I've never smoked, but after racing on Sunday I have a lite (what my grandma used to call) rattle down in my lungs. I showed no signs of any problems before the race and don't feel ill in any other manner at this time. what could be my problem and what should I do.....?
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 2:50 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert-G:

I am not certain what may have caused your problem. It possible you may have had a mild viral respiratory infection, you may be developing allergies to the pollens or molds that you may have been inhaling, or three years off the bike has caught up with you.

If your symptoms persist or recur, see your doctor for further evaluation.

Thanks,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: