TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

life after knee replacement

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 7:35 am GMT +0000    Post subject: life after knee replacement Reply with quote

Long story, one knee is bone to bone. Not really bad yet, can still ride 50~100 miles/week. Don't race, just fun/exercise. Age 53. Hurts worse at times. Ortho told me possibly future candidate for knee replacement.
What are the prospects after this type of operation for returning to an active riding schedule? Will joint be strong enough to take it? Biking is my one big fitness activity.

Thanks,
J.
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 11:21 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

J.:

Don't be surprised if your orthopedic doctor prescribes bicycling in your post knee surgery rehab. Bicycling should still be in your future. Consider going to shorter cranks to decrease the flexing of your knees at top dead center of your pedal stroke. You will need to adjust your seat hight up slightly when you go with shorter cranks to maintain proper knee extension at bottom dead center of your pedal stroke. I suspect you keep your gears on the easier side, if not do look at getting lower gears on your bike and work on developing a smooth high cadence spin in the 90 to 100 rpm range. This is easier on your knees than a big gear mashing at a lower cadence.

Thanks,

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 9:06 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bike Doc wrote:
J.:

Don't be surprised if your orthopedic doctor prescribes bicycling in your post knee surgery rehab. Bicycling should still be in your future.

That's great news! If artificial joint is no obstical to active lifestyle that includes cycling in large amounts, I'm much less trepidatious about the prospect. I appreciate your time. Thanks.

J.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: