TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Still not feeling well from Flat creek

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anonymous

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 12:45 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Still not feeling well from Flat creek Reply with quote

Dear Doc Nolan,
Sunday's race really did me in. On the second lap I felt horrible. Hot, very weak, and cramping. When I crossed the finish line, several people looked rather concerned at my appearance, and I really felt bad. I didn't sleep very well that night, and needed to get up and drink cytomax. Monday my legs felt sore and in places they felt like bruises. I didn't crash or fall during the race amazingly, so this had me concerned. Today I am still tired, and slightly dizzy, and I freally feel weak. Did I possibly have heat exhaustion, and if so what do I need to do. It never takes this long for me to recover.
Schroeder
250+

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 2:02 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

For added info to the equation: Are you on a diet right now or have you been on one in the last couple of weeks?? Speaks to the blood sugar and dehydration issues that can result.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Anonymous

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 2:18 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not so much dieting as maintaining my weight. I ate a good breakfast on sunday, then a banana about an hour and a half before the race, and a slim fast 45 minutes before race time. I drank lots of water the night before. I did have stomach problems the night before. Diaherra actually, but I tried to drink as much water as possible during this bout. It lasted about three hours. I would have thought with the fluid intake and the large breakfast the day of the race would have helped.
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 12:05 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your symptoms sound like heat exhaustion. Dehydration can take several days to a couple of weeks to recover from. You can refill your intravascular space (the blood volume) within a day of dehydration with proper fluid replacement, but the intracellular space (the fluid content within the cells of the body) takes several days to get repleated after a bout of dehydration.

Additionally, if you were coming down with an illness, your recovery will be significantly delayed.

Look at how much you are drinking. The body can loose 2 quarts an hour in sweat during an intense work out in the heat. That translates into one 70 oz CamleBak bladder per hour or three 22 oz (large) water bottles an hour.

For your recovery, keep drinking plenty of fluids, sports drinks like Cytomax are fine but you can save your money just by adding a little extra salt to your foods, eat and drink foods that are high in potassium such as figs, oranges, milk products, and drink plenty of water 2-3 quarts on days you are not exercising. Lay off the exercise for the next week and allow your body to recover. That will do you more good than trying to keep the training going in fear of loosing your form.

If at any time you have worsening symptoms, seek immediate medical attention.

Thanks,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: