TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

orthopedist advice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anonymous

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 3:26 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: orthopedist advice Reply with quote

Hello Dr. Nolan.
I've fractured a mid-thoracic vertebra. I'm looking for advice on how to select an orthopedist who is cycling friendly. What type of cycling related concerns should I address during the consultation? Thanks for your time.

Jeff Boswell
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 4:21 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff:

Ask your cycling friends in your geographic area if they have been seen by a orthopedic doctor that they liked. Talk also with your primary doctor about who has provided helpful consultations. Ask the office when you are calling if the orthopedic doctor has treated cyclist in the past with similar problems. When you see the doctor be sure to discuss your exercise, recreational and profession activities, and what your desires are about maintaining these activities. He or she can then discuss treatment options and recovery plans for you.

If you get the go ahead to get back on the bike, and if you have not yet gotten a full boinger, go full suspension with at least 4-5 inches of travel front and rear to help isolate your back from impacts; there are several "all mountain" or "trail bikes" that fall into that category. Look at going with a recumbent bicycle for road riding as the recumbent position is exteremely easy on the back compared to the conventional upright position. With your off road bike, you do not want to be sitting too upright to avoid direct transfer of impacts into your spine.

I hope this info helps.

Thanks,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: