TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Severe headache...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anonymous

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 7:26 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Severe headache... Reply with quote

OK, doc. You probably remember me from my last post about trouble breathing at Warda. First, let me say, I swear, I'm not a hypochondriac! I'm never, sick and rarely have health related issues, but this next issue was too strange to ignore, so I thought I would ask you about it.

Yesterday, I rode my road bike for about 25 miles -- moderate pace, lots of climbs, but didn't exert myself any more than I do at a race every other week or during a tougher training ride.

Half way through the ride, I wasn't feeling great, so I stopped and got a gatorade. I never stop on this loop, but thought some electrolytes were in order on such a humid day.

Got home from my ride. Felt a little woozy, so I jumped right into a cool shower. Started noticing a blind spot in my right eye. After that, a severe headache ensued. I finally had to lay down it was so bad. The strangest part was that I was having trouble thinking of people's names, couldn't remember my husband's phone number (a number I know well and call every day) and I couldn't comprehend words that I was reading.

I took an advil and the worst of the pain subsided a little, but the headache still lasted for about 2 more hours. Most of the pain seemed to be behind my eyes, and felt better when I squeezed and rubbed on my temples. Woke up this morning feeling as if I had a hang over. My head hurt when I bent over. But that eventually passed, and I feel great this evening. Even went for a run, and felt fine.

Oh,and this is the 2nd time this has happened. The first time was about 1 month ago, after a ride as well. It didn't seem to be as bad, but my head hurt more than it ever had, and I was having trouble forming compete thoughts.

I've never had migraines or a severe problem with headaches, though I should mention I have TMJ.
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 6:00 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mutha:

Get yourself to a doctor muy pronto, like yesterday if not sooner! You symptoms could be due to migraine headaches which can be managed by medication or they could be due to what is referred to as a sentinel bleed from berry aneurism, a small bleb of one of your cranial arteries. It can blow out and lead to a life threatening or severely crippling hemorrhage in the brain. An MRI Arteriogram can be helpful in making the diagnosis of a berry aneurism. Due to the new onset of your symptoms, no previous history of migrains, the vision change, memory and thought process effect and the severity of the head ache, I would take it quite seriously and get and immediate medical evaluation by a competent Internest or Neurologist.

Thanks,
Anonymous

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 8:32 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm calling my doc now. Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: