TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rib cage ache

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jroberts

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 1:34 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Rib cage ache Reply with quote

Hi Doc -

I rode, and unfortunately crashed, at the Broken Oak race 10 days ago. When I crashed I smacked my chest on my handlebars pretty hard. I have an ache that is in the ribs high on the left side where I hit. It hurts when I sneeze or breathe very deep. It also hurts to do things like sit ups or do any chest related exercises. Pain level is moderate and doesn't bother me when I am just sitting around.

I assume I have either bruised or cracked my ribcage. What can I do to make it heal well, and quick?
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 3:40 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

jroberts:

You are correct in your assessment. With your still having significant pain 10 days out, makes it more likely you have a fractured rib than just a bruised rib. You likely will hurt for a few more weeks. Treatment is tincture of time and non-steroidal anti-inflamatory medications (NSAIDs)such as ibuprofen (Motrin or Nuprin), naproxen (Alieve). If you have a history of liver problems, drink more than 2 beers or other alcoholic beverages a day, have a history of stomach ulcers or have a history of allergy to aspirin or other NSAIDS, then you should not take these medications. You will want to avoid strenuous activity for the next four weeks to allow the rib(s) a chance to heal. Strapping or taping the ribs does not speed the healing process and may cause respiratory problems by impeeding your ability to take a deep breath.

Good news, you have a doctor's order to lay off the heavy work and strenuous rides for the next month, so you don't have to come up with some slacker excuse.

Thanks,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: