TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Swelling Around Elbow

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anonymous

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 12:44 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Swelling Around Elbow Reply with quote

I am about to begin a new workout regimen that emphasizes high intensity calisthenics. I figured I needed to do something in addition to the riding and running. In anticipation of beginning this workout, I thought it would be a good idea to go ahead and start doing some push-ups, pull-ups and sit-ups. Having not done any push-ups in quite some time, I remembered that they are a chest workout but forgot that they put a bite on the triceps also. Consequently, I have spent the past couple of days trying to stretch the pain and tightness out of my triceps. What has me concerned is that I have swelling just above my right elbow at the base of the triceps and to the side of my elbow. If I pinch the skin around it, it feels thick. I do not have any pain in the elbow though. Does this sound like a byproduct of beginning to workout a long neglected muscle group?

Thanks.
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 1:38 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

tspitts:

You do not describe it as being tender, red or warm to touch so it is unlikely that you have incurred an acute tendonitis or bursitis (inflamation of the fluid sack that surrounds the tendon), however, you may be developing some acute fluid accumulation in the area about the elbow from the increased stress from the exercise. Ease off a little, gradually increase your intensity over the next couple of weeks. It is possible to worsen it into an acute tendonitis or bursitis if you keep pushing it. Do apply an elastic wrap such as an ACE wrap, use ice applications on for 30 minutes at a time 2-3 times a day for the next couple of days. If you do not see any improvement in the next week or any marked worsening at any time, seek medical attention.

Thanks,
Anonymous

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 7:23 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Doc,

I have iced my elbow for the past few days but it still seems to be as swollen and I have some minor swelling down my forearm. There is still no redness or tenderness in the elbow but this morning it seems slightly warm to the touch. Ya think maybe it's time I go see my doctor?

Thanks.
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:33 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep!

Thanks,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: