TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Shoulder pain

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anonymous

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 7:52 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Shoulder pain Reply with quote

Ten years ago, I did the classic endo related separation of my left shoulder which healed on its own pretty well. I had a hard fall this March where I went OTB, but tucked and rolled nicely on my right side only to get piled into by other riders. Since that crash, I 've had a knife like pain in my left shoulder when I raise my arm up in front of my body. Also the shoulder feels like it is bouncing around in the socket when riding hard. When I raise the arm out to the side or back, I have no discomfort. I can ride okay, but I'm afraid to go too hard for fear of what might happen if I crash on that left shoulder again. Ball and stick sports, which I enjoy in between racing seasons are out of the question right now. I have an appt. with a Baylor Sports Med Ortho doc next week, but what do you think may be up or down with my left shoulder?

Jim Mackey
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 7:35 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmac:

I suspect you have a rotator cuff injury. The rotator cuff is what stablizes the head of the arm bone, the humerus, in the shoulder socket. The cuff is formed by the ligaments and muscles that surround the head of the humerus. The popping sensation you are feeling is likely the humeral head popping in and out of the socket. You definitely need to see the Orthopedic doctor. You are correct in you concern regarding the shoulder getting easily dislocated again.

If you need surgery (very likely) do not write bicycling off in your recovery phase. Look at getting a recumbent trike such as a Catrike, a Wiz Wheels trike or Greenspeed to name just a few. You can keep your lower extremity fitness while still protecting your shoulder from a fall and there will be no weight bearing on your shoulder/arm which could cause problems in the healing phase. I have recently riden a Catrike and there definitely is one of those in my future. Check out www.bentrideronline.com for some great reviews and trike stories.

Don't give up your mountain bike. Once you have recovered from surgery, you should be able to get back on the mountain bike.

Thanks,

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 11:59 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, doc. Is a rotator cuff tear something they can fix with a scope or is it good old fashioned "cut ya open" surgery?

In the mean time, the golfing world is spared one cyclist posing as a bad golfer!

Thanks again,
Jim M
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 3:36 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmac:

Unless there is something new that has come down the pike, it is cut and sew time. Crying or Very sad

Keep me posted.

Thanks,
Anonymous

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 6:46 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi doc,
Physical exam suggested bursitis and x-rays showed a bone spur right above the bursa sac. Shoulder is stable, but muscles around the joint are weak when compared to other side. Got a cortisone shot, month's worth of anti-inflamatories and an appt with a PT. The PT is going to demonstrate stretching and strengthening exercises.

Ortho doc believes that if we can get the bursitis under control and strengthen the shoulder, that the spur impingement is manageable for now. Down the road, I might be looking at a scope to shave the spur. The risk there is that the spur can regrow or scar tissue could build up and put me back to square one.

Got the okay to ride recreationally in a few days after the cortisone settles in. No weight lifting or overhead sports for now and word of caution to be careful until I rebuild strength around the shoulder.

works for me,
Jim M
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 5:24 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim:

I am glad to hear you can avoid the knife. Too bad on the over head work, I was thinking of doing a PayDirt II Bridge! Wink Thanks for all the trail work you have provided at the ranch.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: