TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Too much caffeine, too much alcohol = calcium depletion?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Digimon
100+

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:08 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Too much caffeine, too much alcohol = calcium depletion? Reply with quote

Hi Doc Nolan,

We (the family) might be droppin' in for some Spring Break camping later this week if I can get a couple of days off from work. Hope ya'll are all doing great! I've got a general question about bone health - just suffered my 3rd fracture in 3 years (snowboarding the slopes in Santa Fe ... non-displaced, stable ankle fracture, partially detached tendon [they called it a 'chip fracture'] ... no surgery, no pins ... and just moved from 6 weeks on crutches to the hobbling stage). I don't think it's such a good thing that you get to be on a regular, first name basis with an Orthopedic doc and his whole staff, but that seems to be where I'm at. They say that too much of a good thing is always a problem - in this case, caffeine and alcohol. I've heard that both can contribute to calcium loss in bone structure. I won't publically confess to how much of each I consume, but I'm pretty sure I'm at least 3X over the reasonable limit and the 12-cup carafe on my Mr. Coffee is usually empty by 10:30 AM on a typical work day. I have a widely varied diet, which includes lots of milk or half-and-half in my coffee ... I usually don't use any dairy products in my beer, though. Is there any truth to the calcium loss theory? If so, can it be offset by a calcium/multi-mineral suplement?

thanks,
js
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:54 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay Digimon, here are your spring break reading assignments.

1: Filip RS, Zagorski J.
Osteoporosis risk factors in rural and urban women from the Lublin Region of
Poland.
Ann Agric Environ Med. 2005;12(1):21-6.
PMID: 16028861 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=pubmed&cmd=Retrieve&dopt=AbstractPlus&list_uids=16028861&query_hl=2&itool=pubmed_DocSum

2: Szulc P, Garnero P, Claustrat B, Marchand F, Duboeuf F, Delmas PD.
Increased bone resorption in moderate smokers with low body weight: the Minos
study.
J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2002 Feb;87(2):666-74.
PMID: 11836302 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=pubmed&cmd=Retrieve&dopt=AbstractPlus&list_uids=11836302&query_hl=2&itool=pubmed_DocSum

3: Rapuri PB, Gallagher JC, Kinyamu HK, Ryschon KL.
Caffeine intake increases the rate of bone loss in elderly women and interacts
with vitamin D receptor genotypes.
Am J Clin Nutr. 2001 Nov;74(5):694-700.
PMID: 11684540 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=pubmed&cmd=Retrieve&dopt=AbstractPlus&list_uids=11684540&query_hl=2&itool=pubmed_DocSum

4: Hegarty VM, May HM, Khaw KT.
Tea drinking and bone mineral density in older women.
Am J Clin Nutr. 2000 Apr;71(4):1003-7.
PMID: 10731510 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=pubmed&cmd=Retrieve&dopt=AbstractPlus&list_uids=10731510&query_hl=2&itool=pubmed_DocSum

5: Kanis J, Johnell O, Gullberg B, Allander E, Elffors L, Ranstam J, Dequeker
J, Dilsen G, Gennari C, Vaz AL, Lyritis G, Mazzuoli G, Miravet L, Passeri M,
Perez Cano R, Rapado A, Ribot C.
Risk factors for hip fracture in men from southern Europe: the MEDOS study.
Mediterranean Osteoporosis Study.
Osteoporos Int. 1999;9(1):45-54.
PMID: 10367029 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=pubmed&cmd=Retrieve&dopt=AbstractPlus&list_uids=10367029&query_hl=2&itool=pubmed_DocSum

6: Harris SS, Dawson-Hughes B.
Caffeine and bone loss in healthy postmenopausal women.
Am J Clin Nutr. 1994 Oct;60(4):573-8.
PMID: 8092093 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=pubmed&cmd=Retrieve&dopt=AbstractPlus&list_uids=8092093&query_hl=2&itool=pubmed_DocSum

7: Khalid M, Heffernan G, Brannigan A, Burke T, Grace P, Lyons D.
Does the crack silently break the back? Long-term follow-up and assessment of
risk factors for regional osteoporosis following tibial shaft fractures.
J Clin Densitom. 2005 Winter;8(4):467-71.
PMID: 16311433 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=pubmed&cmd=Retrieve&dopt=AbstractPlus&list_uids=16311433&query_hl=19&itool=pubmed_docsum

8: Kanis JA, Johansson H, Johnell O, Oden A, De Laet C, Eisman JA, Pols H,
Tenenhouse A.
Alcohol intake as a risk factor for fracture.
Osteoporos Int. 2005 Jul;16(7):737-42. Epub 2004 Sep 29.
PMID: 15455194 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=pubmed&cmd=Retrieve&dopt=AbstractPlus&list_uids=15455194&query_hl=19&itool=pubmed_DocSum

I did a PubMed search for salient articles on osteoporosis and caffeine or alcohol. These are some of the abstracts that were appropriate to your question. It does appear that excess in caffeine from coffee and excess in alcohol can increase the risk of osteoporosis. (Tea interestingly enough seems to offer some protection.) Moderation is the key here. Limiting consumption of these substance to 2 cups of Joe and two alcohol containing drinks (any combination of two, not two of each: two beers, two 6 ounce glasses of wine or two ounces of hard liquor a day) does not have adverse effects. If you find moderation is impossible, then complete avoidance is the best option to choose. Your body habitus is long and lean, with low body mass gives you another a significant risk factor for osteoporosis. Calcium with vitamin D supplementation a well as weight bearing exercises such as jogging and weight lifting 3 times a week should be added to your regimen of regular physical activity.

Thanks,
Anonymous

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:03 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is you Austinites don't get enough Calcium and other minerals in your water.
Anonymous

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:11 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are interesting studies Doc. Since energy drinks and some sport supplements have significant amounts of caffeine in them then some athletes could be at a significant risk of calcium depletion and bone fracture.
That would be a good topic for someone to expound upon if they had to write a master's thesis. hmmmmm.....
Digimon
100+

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:16 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the links, Doc. I've perused a couple of them and will look at all, but the indicators are that they won't tell me what I want to hear Very Happy
- john s.
CR66

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 9:14 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.adoracalcium.com/product.htm

"Best" Calcium supplement; your local HEB has it in the Vitamin section, but you might as well buy them in large quantities online once you get hooked on them. Great for all your female family members as well. Very Happy
cxgeezer
New

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:41 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't read any of the above links, but isn't there some new data that indicates that actual weight-bearing exercise (as opposed to only aerobic) is necessary to maintain bone health as we get older?
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 6:01 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

cxgeezer wrote:
I haven't read any of the above links, but isn't there some new data that indicates that actual weight-bearing exercise (as opposed to only aerobic) is necessary to maintain bone health as we get older?

Yes, that is why I recommended "weight bearing exercises such as jogging and weight lifting 3 times a week should be added to your regimen of regular physical activity."

Thanks,
cxgeezer
New

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:43 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bike Doc wrote:
cxgeezer wrote:

Yes, that is why I recommended "weight bearing exercises such as jogging and weight lifting 3 times a week should be added to your regimen of regular physical activity."

Thanks,

Ack! I guess that I should have said "links and posts". My bad.
Digimon
100+

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:30 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: New Issue ... Reply with quote

Hi Doc ... been awhile ... got another issue I really need help with- Jan '10, had a no-problem physical/no-issues-blood/lap-results check-up. May-2010 - full-blown insulin-dependant diabetic (LADA ... latent auto-immune diabetes of adults). Haven't been on my bike in 2 years. Recently decided I need to remedy that, but ... lots of concerns about hypo-glycemia (after some scary incidents), etc. I would be very grateful for a bit of off-line discussion if possible. Direct email is jsilj1@johnsilvey.net.
thanks,
- js
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:22 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Digmon:

See reply under new heading "Riding and Diabetes".

Thanks,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: