TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Upper leg issues

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sugarNspice

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 8:17 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Upper leg issues Reply with quote

Here's the scenario. Upper legs (hip flexors, IT/TI band syndrome, groin, etc.) on both legs has been giving me problems since I attempted to train to run the marathon this past September. At the time I was doing Krav Maga (self defense) & felt something pull in that area in one leg. Ignoring it, thinking it's nothing just minor. I attempted to run 5 miles that folowing week-end. At mile marker 4, I felt excruciating pain in both upper legs. I continued to work/run through the pain, thinking again it will go away. After the run, I was bed ridden for 2 days due to so much pain when using my legs. Needless to say it hasn't completely healed. Now, whenever I walk over 20 minutes, or stand longer than 30 to 45 minutes at a time (or do trail work), my legs hurt so bad I basically have to sit the whole next day & my legs are useless.
I've had an MRI, which showed nothing wrong with me & now a bone scan has showed nothing wrong too. No muscles that have healed incorrectly or anything. Could this be a tendon issue?
I hate not mtbing, which I had very little pain with when I did Mtb. It's only the standing, walking ,wearing heels that cause me pain.
Any ideas on what could be causing my issues? Also, should I start mtbing again or not? Doc says not to, but if it really doesn't hurt why not?
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 3:41 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Upper Leg Pain Reply with quote

sugarNspice:

My apollogies for my delay in responding to your questions. I have a had a busy week in the office and on call at the hospital. I am just now getting to answering Ask the Bike Doc questions for the past week.

Your symptoms sound like you pulled the muscles or strained the tendons in your inner thigh. There may well have been micorscopic tears that cannot be seen on the MRI but certainly are being felt by you.

I would percribe a gentle stretching program, deep muscle ultrasound therapy by a physical therapist and progressive range of motion and strengthening exercises supervised by a physical therapist. You may want to get the book "Stretching" by Bob Anderson.

Ask your doctor for a referral to a sports medicine physician familiar with the needs of the cyclist. If that physician recommends laying off the bike for a while, I would head the advise. If on the other hand he or or she presribes some progressive bicycle strengthening exercises, then go ahead and follow the prescription. Initially, I would recommend returning to a stationary bike or ride on smooth roads to decrease the chance of your repulling the muscles with an unsceduled dismount off road. ONce you have sufficiently recovered then hit the trails with your mountain bike.

Thanks,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: