TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hydration

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dirtface

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 12:42 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Hydration Reply with quote

When riding in the heat is it best to drink cold water versus warm water? I have heard NOT to drink cold water because you will cramp, but I have heard you are supposed to drink cold water to lower your body temp in extreme heat.
Anonymous

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 7:15 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Dirt,

While not a Doc (Best one around in the Boonies/Combat), I do teach Wilderness Medicine through various agencies.

There has been mucho debate ove rhte years (and depending who you talk with) about hydration/water consumption...Cold vs. warm.

You are right...There is literature around about cramping, etc w/ cold water. Also, there are schools of thought that your body will absorb "tepid" (approx body temp warm) water faster and easier.

The thing about cold water...If you NEED the water to cool your core temp...You may be in rough shape "thermoregulation-wise"...

When people get too warm, we teach wilderness Paramedics to apply cool compresses to the Axilla (Armpits), and Groin...This cools the blood as it passes through large vessels near the surface of the skin.

The thing I always taught "my" Rangers (Army Ranger Alumni) when in warm climate ops (Rangers are elite Athletes by mere Job Requirements) was to "eat your chow, and drink enough Water to feel like you need to pee almost all the time." Very Happy

Sorry, for the interjection Doc, but I read Jen's entry with great interest Very Happy

Luv Yas

Weeg
dirtface

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 9:50 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: hydration Reply with quote

Thanks Weeg! I asked two PT's today and neither one of them knew the answer. Cold water just tastes so much better when I am hot. I had been thinking too when my husband was in the ER (twice) with heat exhaustion the IV's looked cool because they seemed to have condensation on them. Then after my husband had emptied a bag he was cold and shivering. But that is probably due to his core body temp being lowered, like you mentioned cold compresses applied to groin area, etc.
Inbred

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 11:47 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

back when mandi was running CC, her coach would tell them that warm water was absorbed quicker...

now, back to Mojo...
Anonymous

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 6:24 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey JEn,

He was shivering cuz the IV Fluids are stored at Room Temp. Very Happy
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 3:53 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Hydration Reply with quote

Dirtface:

My apollogies for my delay; I have a had a busy week in the office and on call at the hospital. I am just now getting to answering Ask the Bike Doc questions for the past week.

It is best to drink cold sports drink solution. Studies have shown that when the hydration solution is cold, the study subjects drink more and are able to maintain there output at a higher level for longer periods of time then when the solution is warm. Cold hydration solutions basically help you drink more because it tastes better. Keep it cold and drink plenty. By the time it gets to your stomach your body has warmed the solution to body temperature so do not worry about "cramping" with cold solution. Do drink a sport drink solution. If you drink plain water, you will be prone to cramping due to falling serum sodium and potasium levels secondary to lack of replacing these salts that you are loosing in your sweat.

Thanks,
pbatzing

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 1:49 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

what's the word on OVER hydrating? I've heard several folks warn about this.

also...what are the benefits and techniques of adding PROTEIN during a long (century) ride?

thanks
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 5:28 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Over Hydration and protein Reply with quote

pbatzing:

Over hydration is really an incorrect term. Inappropriate hydration or inappropriate rehydration is more accurate. Typically what happens is an individual hydrates or re-hydrates with the inappropriate fluid. If only plain water is used to rehydrate during a long, hot ride or workout, and no other sources of electrolytes are consumed, then the sodium, potassium and chloride that is lost in sweat gradually gets depleted and the individual can experience hyponatremia (low sodium), hypokalemia (low potasium) and hypochloremia (low chloride). These states all are very undesirable. They can lead to muscle and abdominal cramps, nausea, vomiting, weakness, headache, and in severe cases life threatening seizures. The trick to preventing these is to use a sport drink such as Gatorade for your hydration fluid and drink plenty. If your kidneys are working, it is very difficult to over hydrate, you will just pee out the excess. For some individuals with kidney or heart disease, then it is quite possible to over hydrate.

In regards to taking protein during a long ride such as a century (or a stage in the Tour de France) absolutely you should consume some protein as well as additional carbohydrates and fats during the ride. During long rides and races, you body will start to break down proteins. You can help prevent this by eating protein containing foods during such events. Typical Tour de France riders will consume 4000-6000 calories a day. It is impossible to get that many calories in carbohydrates alone. Higher calorie foods containing fats and proteins are consumed. The key is to keep the servings small and frequent. When I ride a century or do a cross country self supported tour, I will eat something every 1-2 hours. I like taking items that are easy to procure and easy to consume such as dried fruit, string cheese, whole grain crackers, peanut butter crackers and trail mix consisting of nuts, dried fruit and M & Ms. I also find myself craving V-8 or tomato juice which is a great source of sodium, potassium and chloride on long rides. There is some data that indicates taking a rehydration fluid containing carbohydrates and protein in a 4:1 ration can help restore glycogen stores more readily. I prefer to take my protein though in a more traditional consumable way such as the foods outlined above.

Thanks,
pbatzing

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 3:41 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: YAJEYN Reply with quote

is gatorade sufficient? (plus eating, of course)
no need for excel-enduro-cyto-maximo or another fancy ($$$) drink?

and here's an interesting one
just FULL of good stuff
http://www.healthy-4life.com/tech.html

the "dr" who developed it...if you read closely...is a VET!
i wonder if all those nutrients are needed
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 4:26 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Gatorade Good Enough? Reply with quote

pbatzing:

Yes Gatorade is good enough for replacement fluid for short events up to 3 hours duration. Now if you are going to be doing a long ride such as a tour or an endurance event, you are going to have to consume more than Gatorade as I have previously outlined.

No, I do not own stock in Gatorade, and I am not a paid spokesman for them ( but I am available for higher Wink ). It works, it is inexpensive, readily available in several palatable flavors and comes in powder form that makes packing and storing it a cinch.

Thanks,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: