TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Heart rate spikes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anonymous

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 5:38 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Heart rate spikes Reply with quote

Hey Doc,

For a couple of days now, my heart will just start racing for a few seconds. During my ride today, on which I felt very strong, I noticed a couple of times it would just start beating much faster than previous. I continued to wear my monitor when I got home and occasionally it goes from 60-70 while walking around to 120-140, just for a few seconds. I can feel it and my HRM verifies it, although a little delayed. I don't feel sick but have been doing pretty hard intervals this week per a coach. What gives? Could I be sick or overtrained? Scares the hell outta me. Thanks for any response.

Brian
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 10:53 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian:

Your heart rate spikes may be due to an underlying heart condition. What concerns me is your report that "...occasionally it goes from 60-70 while walking around to 120-140, just for a few seconds. I can feel it and my HRM verifies it...". Unless you are thinking about an IRS audit or some other emotionally charged event, your heart rate should not spike like that when you are relaxed. Now if you are walking around and suddenly have to go up an incline or stairs, it would be normal for your heart rate to increase quickly and then return to base line quickly when you are back on the level, but you did not indicate that being the case.

Overtraining typically manifest heart rate changes of higher baseline heart rate and lower maximum heart rate with longer times to return to base line heart rate when no longer cranking out the watts.

I strongly recommend an evaluation by a Cardiologist as quickly as possible to help you find out what the problem is. You should back off on strenuous activities until you have the heart rate issue sorted out and appropriately treated, if indicated.

Thanks,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: