TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cat 1 40+ coarse length

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> TMBRA Cross Country Series
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marccook44
New

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:12 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Cat 1 40+ coarse length Reply with quote

I believe the majority of the Cat 1 40+ (age) racers would like the coarse length to be the same as the 30+ and 19+ or at least this is what I have been hearing at the races :/
Scott S
TMBRA Board Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:36 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many years ago TMBRA had a problem with older men (40+) in Cat 2 either sandbagging or quitting when it came time to move up to Cat 1 because they didn't want to do the longer distances.
After much discussion it was decided that Cat 1 classes, both men and women, from 40+ on would ride whatever course length that Cat 2 did. They have flourished since, Texas has some of the biggest Cat 1 age groups in the nation. I was in my 40's then and now many of the guys I raced with then are still around, a big plus.
If you want to do a longer distance you are certainly allowed to either "race down" in the 30-39 class, or "race up" the Pro/Cat 1 Open class.

Rocky Hill and Warda Race Director; TMBRA President
Marccook44
New

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:47 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand and thank you for your reply. Is the subject in the 40 class open for a vote verses up/down? Thanks.
Lisa Nye-Salladin
TMBRA Board Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:32 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the vast majority of the 40+ racers want to do a longer distance at the races, the topic can be revisited. But in all these years, we've not heard a call for change....
Marccook44
New

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:02 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lisa Nye-Salladin wrote:
If the vast majority of the 40+ racers want to do a longer distance at the races, the topic can be revisited. But in all these years, we've not heard a call for change....

Hmmmm. Thats a little odd since I have been informed that it has been brought up at the TMBRA board meetings a few times and "a lot of push back" was the response. I have also been informed that racers have raced down and won pissing off a bunch of the 30+ racers which is understandable to me. Also maybe if you were on the race start and finish hearing numerous racers complain about the race distance you may hear what I am hearing.

I understand that this is the USAC standard but I would like to take a tally if I may among the racers in the 40+ class in efforts of having this topic revisited and hopefully revised. I will gladly let this go if all the gripes I am hearing are the minority.
Buckethead
100+

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:16 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

So maybe we have the 40+ guys that want to do the greater distance "race down" in the 30-39 class as Scott suggested, but if they choose to do that they are NOT eligible for any prizes. After all the Category is "Cat 2 30-39".
Win / win, they get to race a longer distance and the 30-39s aren't hacked off.
davebellante
New

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:40 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

or race pro /open which is usually a pretty small class....
Tobin Behling
TMBRA Board Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:55 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marccook44 wrote:

Hmmmm. Thats a little odd since I have been informed that it has been brought up at the TMBRA board meetings a few times and "a lot of push back" was the response.

I love the rumor mill.

I've attended every TMBRA board meeting since 1998. I recall when the C1 40+ distance was made equal to C2. The 40+ C1 racers were the ones calling for the change. Attendance in that group increased substantially in subsequent years as a result of the move.

I don't recall a single discussion about that groups distance since the point in time of that change.

Marccook44 wrote:

I have also been informed that racers have raced down and won pissing off a bunch of the 30+ racers which is understandable to me.

"I got beat by that old guy/gal" <- that's not something to be mad about but rather, to aspire to. If a person is pissed off about others being faster than them, they need put that energy into working harder to get faster themselves instead of being mad about it.
Afrobiker
New

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:02 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Q: while I don't mind beating Marc Cook more( Hi Marc!!! hahaha), how easy would it be to poll the pre-reg'd 40+ riders via email before the race weekends come, pending the course, on if they do our distance or the regulated shorter distance?

I have heard gripes before, and after races from the 40'ers thinking they were doing our distance, but never a mention of it being brought to board meeting attention.
Marccook44
New

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:38 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

I apologize. I misinterpreted board with board member.

I thought this subject would get a lot more traction from the 40+ fellas after the many gripes and discussions I have heard. I am letting this go unless a lot more folks come forward and show a lot more interest and action.

Watch out Mr. Biker. I will always have Palo and may be coming to your class! lol

Looking forward to Double Lake with everyone.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> TMBRA Cross Country Series All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: