TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

LT level

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anonymous

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 2:56 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: LT level Reply with quote

Hi there. I have a training question.

I've always believed my LT to be at about 167. That's my 30min TT average. And in races, I have a hard time maintaining efforts beyond that for more than a few minutes.

Also, the old trick of multiplying HRM x .9 gets exactly the same number.

There's only one complication. I did a VO2Max test a while back by an experienced tester and he came up with 155bpm. That just seems too low. (My MHR is 189, RHR is 55. I'm 32 yrs old.) Training at and around that level just feels too easy.

I'd love to scrap the test results. Whaddya think?
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 6:09 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

yehudimenuhin:

If you find your tolerance zone of an all out time trial effort of 30 minutes is at 167 beats but the lab measured LT zone is 155, I would recommend you listen to your body. You can push your LT level up. What remains fixed is your maximum heart rate. With training, your tolerance for lactate buildup moves upward. You will find, as you have discovered, you can push your heart rate further. Use the 167 heart rate for you LT target zone. Now, be aware that your zone can drift downward with deconditioning. So if you have taken some time off the bike and gotten out of training, using the lower 155 as your LT may be appropriate.

Thanks,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: