TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Knee Pain

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pak Ratt

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 2:21 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Knee Pain Reply with quote

Knee pain on the outside- upper right from the knee cap. Been using my Stumpjumper as a SS (to see if I want to buy a SS) and I think it is what caused the soreness. Also when I get up after sitting "Indian style" I have a hard time moving my legs...discomfort in the knees. Have an appointment with a knee doc in San Antonio on the 30th....

Thoughts?
bikejones
100+

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 8:29 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also Doc.......what is your opinion of the current technology for reconstructive knee surgery?
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 8:08 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bike Jones:

You nailed the likely cause with the single speed. You have likely overstressed the knee having to crank that single speeder up hills and into headwinds. Go back to your multispeed set up, accept your mortality and use low gears with a high RPM spin in the 90 to 110 range for getting up hills and hammering into head winds.

As far as reconstructive surgery, if there is severe ligamentous damage or significant activity limiiting deterioration to the knee joint, then reconstrcutive surgery is a serious option. Do talk at great length with your orthopedic surgeon and do some serious reading before persuing reconstructive surgery.

Thanks,

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 9:42 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: overstress? Reply with quote

You nailed the likely cause with the single speed. You have likely overstressed the knee having to crank that single speeder up hills and into headwinds.
Quote:

How do you "bounce back" from an overstress injury? It hurts to get up in the morning.

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 9:43 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay....I posted that wrong.....

how do you come back from overstress knees?
bikejones
100+

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 12:03 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Re: overstress? Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
It hurts to get up in the morning.
[/quote]

I hear ya bub........but my boss won't take that as an excuse not to come to work Laughing

My problem is, it hurts to walk, but it doesn't hurt when I ride my bike(s). Wait a minute........that's not a problem! Laughing
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 4:03 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Recovery from Overstress Injury Reply with quote

Guest:

"Go back to your multispeed set up, accept your mortality and use low gears with a high RPM spin in the 90 to 110 range for getting up hills and hammering into head winds. "

You may need to lay off the bike for a couple of weeks or more to allow the injured area to heal. Gradually build up the distance of your rides and avoid those big hills west of San Antonio for a while. Keep the RPM, the gearing low.

Thanks,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: