TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

headaches

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sugarNspice

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 6:37 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: headaches Reply with quote

Everytime, after a run or ride I get a really bad headache that does not go away. I usually have to go to sleep or live with the pain. My doc has diagnosed me with seasonal asthma, could this be contributing? This goes on year round & has been happening for many years. I do hydrate very well before & during the activity. Any ideas?

Thanks
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 8:11 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Head aches Reply with quote

sugarNspice:

Your headaches could be getting triggered by airborn allergens. Allergy induce headaches tend to be above and below the eyes (the sinus areas). If these are the type of headaches you get, talk with your doctor about being put on a daily antihistamine that is non-sedating such as Allegra or Clarinex. Additionally, a daily dose of a topical nasal steroid such as Rhinocort, Nasonex, Nasocort or Flonase should also be started. These medications are approved by the International Olympic Committee and the UCI under doctors orders. If you compete in profesional or collegiate compititions, you just need to have your doctor fill out a specefic form for the sanctifying body that lists the prescribed medications.

If you have a head ache from dehydration it will typically involve your entire head. You can do a simple test to see if you are drinking enough during your workouts. Weigh yourself with an accurate scale that give 1/4 to 1/2 pound readouts before and after the workout in the same clothes. If you weigh less after a workout, you are not drinking enough. For every 1/2 pound of weight loss you experience you have lost 8 ounces of fluids that needs to be replaced. Conditioned athletes can loose 2 quarts an hour during a workout in the heat. This translates into one 70 ounce CamelBak per hour of exercise. Use the weight measures to fine tune how much you should be drinking. You may well find you are not quite getting enough fluid replacement. Several studies have show that most athletes do not drink enough fluid during their workouts/competitions to replace what they loose in sweat.

If you do have a diagnosis of asthma, do get an evaluation by a physician competent in asthma management such as a pulmonologist or a competent internist. Most physicians unfortunately do not manage there asthma patients correctly. One study showed only 23% of adult patients with asthma were on appropriate medical management and another study showed that with pediatric patients, only 16% were on appropriate medical management.

Thanks,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: