TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

swollen shin?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dirtdiva

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 12:30 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: swollen shin? Reply with quote

I've got this weird thing going on with my right lower leg. When I fall, I ALWAYS fall on the right knee(90% of the time). It's always scabbed and scarred. Saturday I rode dino valley and fell on the right knee. Yep, it hurt getting the dirt out and cleaning it etc.....no big deal I'm used to it. The swelling was going down by yesterday. I got a new bike yesterday and took it out to Cedar Hill. Fell AGAIN (I know, training wheels right?) on the right knee. Took off what little bit of scab that had formed. My REAL pain is below that though. About 2-3 inches below the knee my shin is REALLY swollen. There is no obvious scrape, hole, bruise or anything to indicate that I hit my shin on something when I fell. The skin is warm, tight, still swollen and tingles off and on. The swelling seemed to be a little better last night when I went to bed and it didn't hurt as much. I didn't ice it because it hurt to touch it and it still does. Today at work it's getting very painful again and the swelling is increasing.
Yes, it hurts to put weight on it but I'm hobbling along. Sometimes I'll get a sharp shooting pain up my shin when I'm just sitting still. It's really weird! Any ideas? Thanks!
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 3:07 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dirtdiva:

Get ye to a doctor immediately. You may be developing an infection to the muscle compartment over the tibia. This is VERY serious. The bacteria likely entered from the knee wound and tracted down the fascia into the tibial area. If you cannot get into your doctor, GO to an ER NOW. This is VERY SERIOUS! The spreading infection and increasing swelling can litterally lead to your loosing your leg if not your life.

Thanks,
dirtdiva

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 9:31 am GMT +0000    Post subject: shin Reply with quote

the swelling has gone down a little bit since I elevated it and put ice on it last night. It's still swollen somewhat but not as painful? Do I get the same dreaded prognosis??? IF so , my doctor is only a mile away...?
thanks again!
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 10:17 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dirtdiva:

It is good that the swelling has gone down. I will er on the side of caution and recommend you get it checked by your doctor to be on the safe side.

Thanks,
dirtdiva

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 10:51 am GMT +0000    Post subject: thanks! Reply with quote

I have an appointment at 1 with my Dr. (better safe than sorry) and I have to say that I thought you might reply to my first post with a possible fracture or something like that......the response you gave me made me panic......(methinks that was the intent?)but I'm getting it looked at so that's the important thing.....
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 12:04 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dirtdicva:

Panic sometimes is a good thing, and yes I ment for you to panic. I have seen what seemed to be trivial scapes to the legs develop rapid swelling such as what you described turn into medical disasters in a matter of hours. I was quite serious in my concern for you. I hope every thing turns out okay for you.

Thanks,
dirtdiva

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 8:23 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, I went to the doc and he said that yes, it looked pretty infected but he also wasn't sure if maybe I had broken the bone. He took care of both I guess with augmentin for the infection and a couple of x-rays to check out the bones..... he'll get the readings in the morning. I told him what you told me and he said I should thank you! Smile He said it's not too bad right now but if I hadn't done anything then it could have gotten really bad. I honestly didn't think a whole lot about it so I want to thank you for panicking me. Because of you I'll get to take a 2nd ride on my new bike (sometime in the not too distant future hopefully).

thanks again! You do a GREAT job!

Gail
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 2:22 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dirtdiva:

I am glad to hear you are on the mend. Keep me posted on your recovery. I will be at the 12 hrs of Dirt in Warda June 5-6.

Thanks,
dirtdiva

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 6:01 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, the antibiotics seem to be working VERY quickly. They got the x-rays read (no breaks). I guess I just hit so hard everything swelled up?
The "dirt rash" seems to be mending pretty well. I got on the bike last night in the back yard to see how a pedaling motion felt and it actually hurt less than walking! The only weird thing left is that when I stand still (not when moving or sitting) the whole knee cap area feels like it's on fire.? If I start walking it generally goes away. I'm assuming it has something to do with the healing process and scabbing? You've been great!

Gail
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 10:26 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gail:

Keep a liberal application of antibiotic ointment covered with a dressing to the "Offroad Rash" on your knee. Clense it twice a day and reapply the ointment and dressing. This will help keep it from scabbing over heavily and will speed the healing. Once it has healed, do a liberal application of sunscreen before going outside in shorts. Finally, given your history of kissing the ground with your knees repeatedly, get yourself a set of knee and shin guards. Even cross country riders can benefit from these Down Hill appliances. There are several models to choose from, I am sure there is one that will fit your needs.

Thanks,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: