TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My mano hurts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Haola

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 3:09 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: My mano hurts Reply with quote

So - I braved the 6 hour drive to X-Bar to preride on Saturday. I get out there...amazed at the amount of rocks (compared to the normal Brazos Valley Riding I'm used to). About halfway through my second lap I take a spill. I wasn't going fast - but I went DOWN fast - know that kind? I caught myself with my right hand...right upon a nice, pointy, palm-sized rock. Immediate pain. I gimped it back and retired for the night, with some ice and advil. Sunday morning came and I couldn't even grip my cell to turn off the alarm, let alone the grips on my Kona (who was aching to be raced). I fiddled around in the parking lot...but couldn't handle the pain. I returned home, with a big fat DNS next to my name on the race results. Sunday afternoon, the bruising started. Around the underside of my wrist, through my palm and along the side of my hand and the underside by my wrist (the part that karate guys use to chop blocks with). This part sustained the impact. I went to the doc on monday and got xrayed because I still couldn't close my hand. Not broken. Take this, he says, and hands me an RX sheet. Call him in one week if it's not better and he'll send me to a hand surgeon to get a second opinion. My question is...my pinky gets cold from time to time and itches a lot. I climbed on the road bike yesterday (i know, i'm a sinner) because i knew the pressure on my hand wouldn't be great. During riding it wasn't bad. Afterwards -- throb throb throb. So - what is right there in your hand and what might I have done to cause so much pain with no break?

Thanks
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 5:49 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haola:

Get that hand rechecked. Sometimes fractures do not show up on the initial X-rays and a repeat film or a bone scan is in order. Get that hand rechecked today. With the degree of dyscomfort and the altered sensation combined with the coldness to the pinky you are having it is worrysome. There could be nerve and or vascular injury along with an occult bone injury.

Man-oh-mano, do not ignore this.

Thanks,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: