TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

riding with horatio the hernia

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 3:21 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: riding with horatio the hernia Reply with quote

Doc - I just found out that I have an ingenial hernia. The doc says it appears big enough that it should have no trouble moving in and out (the bad thing being that if it moves out and gets caught it gets gangrenous - but i'm sure you knew that) He told me that I can do whatever I want as long as I can stand the pain, but I will require surgery to be back to normal.

Will it hurt me to finish racing this season on this hernia? What about the weight-room? I was planning on getting surgery late-November when all has calmed.
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 5:53 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guest:

I will dodge this bullet. If I tell you to race and you get in trouble, that would be bad form. The weight room is denfinitely out, the straining to lift weights will definitely make the hernia bigger. Look at getting that hernia fixed as soon as possible. There is always the spring series and you could be healed up in time to race by then if you get it fixed now.

Thanks,
Jordan
100+

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 8:29 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in the day I ran with a Hernia to complete a road running season before surgery.

If it gets bad, you will know it, but I believe you can race if you want.

BTW when it was time I had the old school cut and add mesh surgery. This was 1996. At that time the doc said it would hold better than laproscopic. And the scar is cool.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: