TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tennis elbow?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
the toninator
250+

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 7:22 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Tennis elbow? Reply with quote

Hey Doc. My elbow is starting to hurt more and more when I ride. When I’m on the road bike and my hands are on the hoods with my elbows parallel to the drops I get a lot of pain from my elbow. When I’m on the top bars palms down arms parallel to the ground, I don’t get the pain. Now most would say, it’s the road bike dummy but to that I answer “well if I have my palms resting on the end of the bars where bar ends would be on my mountain bike (pretty much the same position as the road bike) I get the same pain.

So now my question is “What do I to make the pain go away?”
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:46 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

toninator:

As you find certain hand positions do not aggrivate your pain, you may want to experiment with a an alternate handlebar set up. You might want to try a handle bar with more back sweep or even a mustach handle bar to give you more hand position options. See your doctor about getting an evaluation for a elbow tendon support band or brace to help aleviate the tendon irritation. Also, you may need to take some time off the bike just to allow the inflamation to settle down and allow the tendon to heal.

Now you are not too far off on the advise for getting rid of your road bike. Think about switching to recumbent with underseat stearing for riding on the road. You will find great relief with the neutral hand position you can get from this position. Check out www.bentrideronline.com for an enlightening eduction on recumbents and recumbent bike reviews.

Keep your mountain bike; recubents are lousy on technical single tracks and gnarly climbs and descents.

Thanks,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: