TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

elbow injury?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anonymous

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:01 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: elbow injury? Reply with quote

I was riding this past weekend (Saturday/New Years Day). I was on new shoes with new cleats that I hadn't spent much time in yet. I got to a pretty rocky uphill part that I wound up standing still in. My right foot came unclipped just fine but my left didn't. Unfortunately it was my left side that I fell to (and slightly downhill also). I was still clipped in on my left side but my bike fell on my left leg along with all of my weight. In trying to keep my head from hitting the ground first I put my left arm out.
I'm not sure exactly what part hit the big rock but from my elbow down towards my wrist I have a scrape (and bruise) that is about 4-5 inches right along the forearm bone? (yeah, I kow that's not the technical term for it...Smile But worse is that immediately my elbow swelled up (pretty big) and I had severely limited motion. We were camping that night so I didn't have ice for it etc and didn't get to ice it until the following night. By this time it really hurt BAD, was swollen and bruised already. My fingers on that hand swelled up slightly. I started icing it Sunday night and kept it in a sling most of the time. The swelling has gone down some, the pain is a little better but I still don't have full motion back....? Should I be concerned about a break or sprain and is there anything that can be done about it other than sling/ice? There are certain ways of moving it that I can't do (i.e. fasten my seat belt with that arm) BUT as long as I keep it folded it doesn't hurt very much. I still can't straighten it out completely. This happened 4 days ago, should I just keep an eye on it?
thanks for any help/advice.....
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 5:51 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

dirt diva:

I am sorry to hear about your going "Arty Johnson" on the pedals. The injury you incurred could be serious. The limited range of motion could be from blood in the joint or from a fracture to the elbow, both of which can have serious consequences. Get the arm checked out.

Thanks,
Anonymous

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 7:43 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, I had thought that it was just "bruised" and would feel better after the swelling went down etc but the swelling is gone and the pain is just as bad, if not worse. I'm going to have it looked at.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: