TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

shimming cleats

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 9:53 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: shimming cleats Reply with quote

Hey doc!!

What's the best way to go about shimming cleats due to one leg being slightly shorter than the other. after a 40 miler yesterday the little muscle that connects my quad to my knee cap was pretty sore. I have my left cleat pushed as far forward as it will go which isn't a viable solution anyhow.
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 6:24 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guest:

It is helpful to get your leg length discrepancy measured by a Physical Therapist. Then it is generally recommended to start to shim with 1/2 of the discrepancy placing the shims or washers between the cleats and shoes. You will likely need longer cleat bolts. Try this for a week or two then gradually add more shims to allow your legs to adjust. Reassess your seat height position as you may need to bring it up some as you adjust the cleats.

Another, but more expensive option, especially if the leg length discrepancy is more than 5mm, is to change to shorter crank arm on the short leg side or a longer crank arm on the long leg side. If you have, for example, a 10 mm differnce then you could run a 165mm crank arm on the short leg side and a 175mm crank arm on the long leg side.

I hope this information helps.

Thanks,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: