TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Broken or bruised ribs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Murkona
100+

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 11:37 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Broken or bruised ribs Reply with quote

I crashed last Saturday and hit my rib pretty hard. Three days later it hurts worse than the day after. How can I tell if it's broken or just bruised? Could I have a bruised internal organ? How long for either a break or bruise to heal in a case like this?

Thanks
Anonymous

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 5:49 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard to tell sometimes without Radiographs (X-Ray)...

I busted a rib riding north of Miami (Oleta State Park...SPLIPPERY Roots) two years ago...Only reason I found out was because my chin was split open too...I was teaching at the Ryder Trauma Center at the time. Since I worked with all of them, they X-Rayed me after my chin was sutured up.

Sore, ain't it? Confused Sad
Murkona
100+

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:57 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

You got that right. It is sore and not feeling any less sore.

I think it's time to get the x-rays in case there is a break.

Thanks
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 7:44 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Murkona:

It is likely you have some fracture (broken) ribs. Treatment is tincture of time. Unfortunately, it will take 6-8 weeks for the ribs to heal up before they will stop aching. X-rays will let you know if they are broken, the benefit of knowing they are broken is in planning your recovery time. If they are not broken, and only bruised you should be feeling better in 1-2 weeks. If they are broken, it will be 6-8 weeks before you should partake in any activities in which they could be easily reinjured. Have your physician check you out and get the rib films.

Thanks,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: