TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sudden loss of power in quads

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
quadsnomoto

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 1:18 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Sudden loss of power in quads Reply with quote

Origin: Seemed sudden, doing 3x wingate (.20 mile) power test on CT (or so it appeared) bilateral, slightly worse on left side.

Symptoms: Quads locked up, tight as a drum, IT band with them, still tight feeling 5 days later (said PT I see for my knees), still tight 10 days later (massage, ah) ... became semi-normal by the 17th day (massage person said finally bloodflow looked normal to quads). Not particularly painful unless pressed on (e.g. by rolling on a foam roller kind of thing) in the early days.

So, this has been going on about a month. I am seeing a doctor, but he's a bit stumped. So far I have had my bloodwork checked (e.g. CBC, CK, etc.) was ok. I've not taken any new meds. I just had EMG and electromyopgraphy, that was fun if you like shocks and needles. That was normal.

Ongoing symtoms: just ain't nothing there, it's like I can't use my quads, even though they look normal I have no power. They get tight feeling when I ride at all hard. They recover. I tried pushing through it and had generalized aching the next day that peaked at night (woke me up).

Next up, doc is going to talk to another sports doc, and considering pressure test, however this is supposed to be mega-rare (compartment syndrome in quads).

I had been doing a lot of base miles and heavy weights (2x a week). Have done jack for the last month, light spinning mostly. My one day outside seemed to cause pain to start appearing. When I do ride I am having pain everywhere, like everything else is trying to compensate. Knees hurt, IT bands hurt, hip flexors and hamstrings are working super hard. I am having to gear into tiny gears just to try and get my watts/HR up. Been working with a coach for a year, no giant leap in program other than more base miles and one extra weight session (hard) in the months before. I had zero symptoms/worries that I noticed.

Just wondering what another doc might think it might be? I am about to freak out with having no quads (and not being able to hardly ride, been stuck to a trainer).

thanks
wigged out in Austin
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 4:03 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

quadsnomoto:

It is a tough call of what exactly is going on. If you have had a local severe muscle spam that was perciptated by the high intensity testing you did with the Windgate test or the increase in your weight training, it is possible there is still local spasms being brought on by recurrent stresses to the muscle. Daily muscle stretching exercises and backing off on the intensity then gradually building back up can be helpful. Having the PT and Massage Rherapist work with you on this can be quite helpful.

Now if it is the more serious compartment syndrome, which is brought on by marked swelling in the muscle and the muscle becomes entrapped by the surrounding fibrous sheeth that surrounds the muscle, you may require surgical intervention to release the pressure and save the muscle. Do follow through with your evaluation the Sports Medicine physician to help sort this problem out. Compartment syndrome is very serious and you do not want to wait to see if it goes away because muscle can be destroyed by waiting.

Thanks,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: