TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lactic Acid Management

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Murkona
100+

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:50 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Lactic Acid Management Reply with quote

Doc,

I'm 12-15 years removed from my days of road racing, which I did for 9 years plus multiple du's and tri's after my road racing career.

Recently began mountain bike racing, now in my 40's and having to deal with lactic acid like I've never experienced. I seem to have a decent ability to deal with it and recover, but notice it's more difficult and want to figure out how to manage it better. I know time in the saddle is always a sure cure, but don't have the time like days of old.

MTB racing reminds me of riding a criterium, which inherently loads the legs with lactic acid, particularly in the start of the race.

Warm up, eat right, hydrate, cool down, supplements(?), more miles etc... what else do you recommend for an old fart?
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 6:18 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Murkona:

To help build your tolerance of lactic acid in your muscles, doing interval training can be helpful. This consist of riding brief intense efforts for 2 to 3 minute bursts with an equal time of recovery between. 5-10 repetitions should be done after a 15 minute warm up. It should be done once a week followed by an easy day or rest day.

Their are several good books on training, Joe Friel and Dirk Friel, Training Bible, Arnie Baker Smart Cycling, Edmund Burke Science of Cycling to name just three of them. Add one or two of these to your reading list to help with your training.

Thanks,
Anonymous

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:15 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Murkona,

The Doc has it nailed on the intervals to help lactate tolerance. Intervals will also help your muscles and body get better at lactate clearance.

The other piece of the puzzle is lactate production. You see, your lactate threshold (that magic place in exercise-related work) is determined by two things: 1) lactate production and 2) lactate removal. Officially, your LT is the level of work where your production begins to be larger than your removal.

If you decrease the production, chances are that your removal is already "trained" to deal with the reduced lactate. So, how does one go about reducing lactate production at any given workload? Or to say it another way: "how does one increase his/her LT?" The answer is AEROBIC EXERCISE! Yep, you need to build a bigger aerobic engine.

Don't misunderstand me and think that all you need to do is long-slow miles. You do need those intervals for power and for lactate tolerance & clearance. But, if you are more "aerobically" capable, then you will produce less lactate at most workloads. Of course, once past your LT, the sky is the limit on your lactate level.

As for your other questions. Yes, warm-up is essential. More miles are essential. Cool down and spinning afterward are essential. Good nutrition is essential.

Hope this all helps.

Terry Dupler, Ph.D.
40-49 Expert
(another Old Fart still trying to race!)
Murkona
100+

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 9:40 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input. Time to increase the horsepower of my Aerobic Engine!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: