TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Shoulder and back pain

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anonymous

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 9:23 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Shoulder and back pain Reply with quote

I have had sharp, hot pains over and around my right shoulder for a week since doing a road race last weekend. I do most of my training/ racing on my mountian bike and have had no back problems so far this year, until during the Fayetteville SR last weekend. On Sunday's race I was having signifigant pain in my upper back around my right shoulder and neck. I attributed it to soreness, do to being in a position different than I normally ride in for and extended period of time, since I mostly mountain bike and when I do ride the road I am more upright with hands on top of the bars instead of on the brakes or in the drops like during a road race. However, the pain did not go away with the other soreness from the race, it has remained sharp and hot for over a week. I took the weekend off from riding as it seems that the training I did during the week did nothing but aggrivate the pain. The symptoms have lessened somewhat, but still persist. Now I am am in a quandry if I should continue training this week or not. I guess I am due for a trip to the doctor? Would this be considered a pinched nerve? Should I cut back my training for speedier recovery?
Nathan Winkelmann
250+

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:41 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drew, the doc said he'd be gone for a week or so, but I had/have this problem too. Probably doing RR's makes you more tense, b/c all the dorks around you at 30mph, that and the weird positions you make your neck to get aero in. I stretch it good everyday with various stretches, but wouldn't cut back on the training. Also, a chiropracter helped me. aight-wink

whatupthirst@hotmail.com
Anonymous

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 1:31 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

hahaha...yeah, it was the first road race of the year and I think I had my hands on the brakes for the entire 75 miles....sketchy roadies.

I am used to getting some soreness after being stretched out, but this one isn't letting up.
Anonymous

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 4:32 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

by the way, what kind of stretching are you doing for the upper body and neck??
Anonymous

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 7:48 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second Wink's stretch recommendation and training recommendation (so long as it doesnt hurt the shoulder too much). But I would add a warning, you can actually make it worse if you do too much stretching or the stretches are too deep (read: stretching can actually irritate an already irritated muscle). So I would keep stretching relatively light. I'd stretch whatever hurts and anything that is connected to it and do both sides not just the injured side.

Training, I'd do what you normally do except avoid any workout that forces you to pull on the bars a lot, like any kind of sprint, hill or near max effort where you are pulling on the bar for leverage. I would avoid trails as well.

Good excuse to get a massage too. Same warnings that go with stretching apply to massage as well.

Chiropractor is fine for this but that isnt a short term fix. In other words if this is caused by some kind of "misalignment" you arent likely to fix it with one or two treatments.

Paul
Anonymous

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 12:02 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

man, when just reaching for my mouse and keyboard at work causes irritation and aching, strenous training makes me think that I might be doing more damage.....sux!
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 6:57 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

drewmedlock:

Nathan is guiding you well. Let me recommend an excellent book: "Stretching" by Bob Anderson.

Thanks,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: