TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Knee pain

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wyatt3d
100+

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 9:31 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Knee pain Reply with quote

Doc,

I recently started experiencing some knee pain...it is on the outside of my right knee and toward the back, I haven't changed anything on my bike and my cadence is normally 90 to 105. I tried taking a few days off of the bike. I went for a light 1hour spin today with only a little pain and went for a 20 to 30 min run afterward with no pain...but now it seems to be bothering me a little (5 hours later).

All I can think of is that I have started training pretty hard in the last month. Pretty much all road.

I've tried a hot bath but haven't tried ice, which is better? Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Dalton
Anonymous

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:51 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Typically, that problem is due to the seat being too high. First, have that checked by someone who is good at bike fit. All the big shops can do that and there are a lot of folks who are good and don't work for a shop.
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 5:18 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dalton:

Besides having the seat to high having it too far back can also be a sorce of pain in the back of the knee. If you have too much float in your pedals, you will have to excessively rotate your heal outward to come unclipped and this also can be a sorce of pain to the back of the knee. I recommend limiting float to no more than 5 degrees. Saddle height should be set so that the knee is flexed about 10 degrees when you are at bottom dead center for raod riding and about 15 degrees for mountain biking. Saddle fore-aft position should be set so that a plumb line dropped from the tibial tuberosity (the boney prominance just below the knee) transects the center of the pedal axel when the foot is centered with the ball over the pedal axel and the pedal held horizontal at the 3 o'clock position. Fine tuning of the saddle fore-aft position should then be adusted 1-2 mm at a time to find the sweet spot that prevents pain in the back of the knee and the front of the knee.

Your cranking up the training can be an issue as well. As a rule of thumb do not increase your training duration or intesity by more than 10% each week to allow you body time to adjust.

Thanks,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: