TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pain in chest at LT

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anonymous

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 8:59 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Pain in chest at LT Reply with quote

Doc,

I get this bad pain in or above my chest whenever I get around LT (around 185 BPM). I caught a bad cold or respiratory infection in February and it's still bothering me, to the point where I can't finish races. I can do LT intervals of 5-10 minutes but more than 20 minutes or so into a race, the pain becomes unbearable.

I've had allergies and asthma for 2 decades and am taking several med's for these and am generally symptom-free. I've talked to my allergist and general doc and both just give me different ways to take Proventil and Intal. But this isn't about wheezing, it's just a raw feeling in my bronchial tubes that isnt affected by these inhalers.

I talked to a guy at Comfort and he told me he had the same thing a couple of years ago and just lowered his intensity while riding (only endurance rides) and it eventually went away after a couple of months.

Should I just take it easy for awhile or could there be something else to treat it? My doc's here in Dallas don't seem to understand the implications of high-intensity training and its relevance to this problem. Thanks for any input.
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 10:04 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian:

Your symptoms could be related to the respiratory infection in February. The lower respiratory tract airways, the bronchioles, can remain hyper-reactive to irritants including exercise for 6-8 weeks after a lower respiratory tract infection. Talk to your doctor about seeing an adult Pulmonologist to help sort things out. You may benefit from having a Pulmonary Function Exercise Test performed to see if airway reactivity is underlying your symptoms. It that is the case, then you may benefit from some Pulmonary medication adjustment.

Thanks,
Anonymous

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 10:17 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Doc.

I was already thinking of seeking out a pulminologist if this didn't go away by this past w/e. Guess I will for sure now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: