TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Long lasting hamstring injury

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
d.scope

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 7:03 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Long lasting hamstring injury Reply with quote

In September of last year, I had to stop riding because of a hamstring injury. The pain in my leg seems to run down the whole of my hamstring, and when I pedal there doesn't seem to be any areas of movement which makes it hurt worse.
It wasn't a sudden injury, but something that came slowly. It possibly started after a crash in early August. After a few weeks of resting my leg with no improvement, I decided to go to the doctor. I went to a general practitioner who prescribed physical therapy for me. I went to physical therapy for 2 months but it didn't seem to help at all. After resting my leg for another month or two, I decided to go see a sports doctor. He thought it was probably a tendonitis problem and prescribed more PT for me. So I went back to physical therapy. They told me I should start exercising it more and riding my bike a little at the same time, which I did. This physical therapy didn't really seem to help too much except for letting me do more work while not feeling much worse. One thing the physical therapist found was that my hips seemed to be rotated or pushed forward to one side. He did some things to push it back, and kept on eye on it in future visits to make sure it stayed where it was supposed to.
Well this physical therapy ended as well, and I'm still having trouble with my hamstring. Does anyone have any ideas of what it could be or what I could do?
Thanks I very much appreciate it.

Derek
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 4:55 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derek:

It is a tough call as to what your problem is. It is possible you have had a severe hamstring injury from repetive use and inadequate stretching of the muscles. It also possible that you may have some poor alignment of your pelvis and thigh bone that may predispose you to this recurrent injury. There are some less common disorders that may be the source of your problem such as ileotibial band syndrome or sciatic nerve compression from one of the muscles in the back of the thigh and buttock area called the piriformis. An MRI of your hip and thigh may be helpful in sorting things out. I would recommend a re-evaluation by your sports physician or get a referral for a second opinion.

Thanks,
d.scope

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 1:41 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

Thanks for your help, I think I will do that. It sure is annoying but it seems that there isn't much else I can do besides that.

Derek
Anonymous

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:50 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Hamstring Injury Reply with quote

Derek
I also had a very similar injury in Sept of last year during my first race which I was clearly not ready for. The advice I was given was for 6 weeks of rest which I ignored because I'm too ADD. I still notice a little bit of the trouble but it's much better. The biggest thing I have done is incresed my flexibility through stretching before and after exercises. I always warm up for 10 minutes first. I also have had cronic lower back pain most of my adult life which I believe to be connected with my hamstring problem and probbably ITBS (illiotibial band syndrome)?. I have also changed my gym time to focus mainly on core strengh exercises now also which has given me tremendous improvement in my lower back pains. My back would generally tighten up after 30 minutes of riding and now it's closer to an hour and a half. Good luck,
Jerry
P.S. I'm not really a doctor, I just play one at home.
d.scope

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 7:15 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jerry, at this point I'm willing to try pretty much anything, so I think I'm going to start doing more abs and back strengthing exercises. It can't hurt hopefully.

Thanks,
Derek
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: