TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Should I get an MRI

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John R

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 10:23 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Should I get an MRI Reply with quote

Doc I had a pretty nasty crash about 7 days ago in a road bike race. I went down over 20 and crashed into a wood pole. All the damage was centered around the left inside part of my knee on my right leg. I had some pretty nasty 2nd degree road rash and I went to the emergency room the next day for cleaning an X rays. No broken bones but after 7 days of major pain and popping Vicatins I still dont have full motion in my leg. I am starting to be able to walk but I cannot do a full pedal revolution with my right leg. IS IT NORMAL FOR AN INJURY LIKE THIS TO TAKE SO LONG TO HEAL? A couple of friends told me to get an MRI but I feel like its probably a waste of time since the ER doc didnt recomend it.
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 4:01 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

John:

If your symptoms are still persisting this much and you have significant reduction in your range of motion, it is time to get a re-evalution. Sometimes subtle fractures do not show up on initial radiographs and subsequent studies have to be done to define the injury. Additionally, cartiledge and tendon injury do not show up well on plain X-rays. Get an medical evaluation preferrably by a sports medicine physician or an orthopedic doctor. There may be an MRI in your future.

Thanks,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: